Notices

Sedona-to-Flagstaff road

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona-to-Flagstaff road

I have this question about route 89A, the road between Sedona and Flagstaff:

I read that this is a windy road, so I am wondering: Is 89A also a mountain road?

If it is a mountain road, I have this question: On what side of the road heading north is the mountain? Is the going-north road next to the mountainside, or is on the outer edge of the mountain?

I'm not sure I asked this question clearly. It's just that I hate mountain driving, especially if I am on the outer-most edge of the road (more risk of accidentally driving off the mountain!) If I have to drive on a mountain, I prefer being on the side of the road that hugs the mountain.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM
TheWeasel

It's more of a canyon road, meaning as it winds down to Sedona, there's an open canyon on one side and the rock wall of the canyon on the other. The canyon wall would mostly be on the left side headed north (if I remember correctly), so if you drove north to Flagstaff, you could expect to have the canyon drop-off on your side.

For what it's worth, I think it's far more scenic to drive from Flagstaff to Sedona, rather than the other way.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM

Correct on both points, Weasel. Mountain on left going north, more scenic coming down.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for replying, but I'm not sure I understand.

Is the heading-north road on the edge of the mountain (on the drop-off side), or is it right next to the mountain?
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM

When you are heading north, the drop off would be to your right.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:58 PM
TheWeasel

Joyce - as you're heading north, you'd be driving on the side closest to the canyon drop-off (the scary side). Traffic coming from the opposite direction (heading south) would be up against the canyon wall. It's a two lane highway.

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 06:13 PM

Sorry to disagree but if my recollection serves me (and it may not), my impression is that as you go north (sedona to Flagstaff) the mountain side is on the right hand side; as you get to the top, the canyon (drop off side) is on the right. If you don't like driving on winding roads, my feeling is that it is less scary to go north on this road going uphill, than it is coming down when you are always wanting to touch your brakes if you're apprehensive.
Whatever the circumstances, I don't think it is a hard road to drive and if you go at a steady comfortable pace, I don't think you will have problems.
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:08 PM

Is the road design not known as "switchbacks" where one turns back and forth as he climbs (or descends) the box canyon?

If so, wouldn't the mountain be near you until the turn, then the drop is near you, repeating over and over?

'Twas long ago when Mummy and Daddy took me there, so kindly excuse my poor memory if I errored in my recollection.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for explaining this.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Just to reiterate, the road, a 2 lane non-scary wide safe road is on the left side of the canyon and Oak Creek as you go North. It is mainly level or gradual climb until the last 1-2 miles up where the "switch backs" are. There is a great vista site at the top with views of the entire valley.
The views, as stated, are best coming down. It also depends on time of day and sun angle. Some of the red rock mtn views are outstanding.