Monterey Plaza--bay view vs. garden view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have stayed there, can you comment on the "garden view" rooms? I asked if they faced a parking lot, and she said they faced the bike trail. My main concern is that the room be quiet for sleeping. I have reserved an ocean view with balcony right now, but it is expensive ($265/night). Because we definitely want two rooms (one for the teens), that really adds up. I also read some reviews where people mentioned the seals/otters barking all night?

The garden view room is $200/night.

I think I would like Carmel better than Monterey, but Carmel is sooo pricey. I like being able to walk to the water, as well as some restaurants.

I think my problem is I want it all, and at a good price! And as much as I love the internet, it is turning me into an obsessive! It doesn't help that it's about 5 degrees in Chicago right now and all these photos of California are so appealing....
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:36 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Monterey Plaza last summer in a room with a balcony overlooking the water. We kept the door open at night for the breeze and although we heard birds, we didn't hear any seals. Our room was absolutely wonderful and we'd stay there again in a heartbeat even though it was pricey.

The Monterey Plaza is a very large hotel and is situated on both sides of a street. I assume that garden rooms must be on the side of the street that doesn't overlook the water.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:39 PM

If it were me, I'd probably get the garden room (or an ocean view for me and garden for the kids!) You'll get plenty of views while you're out and about. Also, I wouldn't stay in Carmel. It's very small and while you will enjoy a stroll down Ocean Ave., and a couple of the side streets, there's just not that much to it.

From Monterey Plaza you'll be able to walk to the water, restaurants, shops, the wharf and lots farther.

Bucky, you're going to have so many views you will stop seeing them after awhile. Relax. You've got a great itinerary planned. Just pray for good weather in March!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:18 AM
SAB

Although the ocean view rooms are nice-- is nice to get up and look out on the Bay in the morning-- I don't know if it is really worth spending the extra money. Last time I stayed at the Monterey Plaza I spent so little time in my room (except for sleeping). BTW there are plenty of places to stay in Carmel from which you can walk to the water. Just to add fuel to the fire--it has been sunny and clear and in the high 50's to low 60's here in SF for the past few days.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM

Carmel and Monterey are both beautiful places. I really can't say which one I prefer as they both offer very unique things. If you really want to stay in Carmel, try www.carmelinns.com to see if anything fits your budget.

I know that the Normandy Inn in Carmel is very nice and walking distance to the beach and all the shops in downtown Carmel and the Plaza.

Bouchee in Carmel is supposedly excellent. We enjoyed lunch at Portabella a couple of years ago. The Flying Fish Grill located in the Plaza (down the stairs) is also an old-time favorite of ours.

We originally started going to the Flying Fish Grill when we were dating, so there are many nice memories there for us. Whatever you decide, you will love this area. Have a great trip! ***kim***
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:10 PM
kgn

We were at the Plaza in December. We had a great trip to CA started in San Fran at the Ritz drove down to Monterey stayed at the Plaza then to Santa Barbara and down to San Diego where we stayed at the Lodge at Torrey Pines. Of all the hotels we were disappointed in the Plaza. We had an Ocean view but the room was very small there were four (two kids 10 and 6)of us it was tight! We did here the seals during the night and the door was closed. The room also had a very musty smell, which I complained about to house keeping and the front desk. THey brought a room deoderizer fan thing and it helped a little. I was not thrilled. When are you going, I am sure it is different in the spring and summer but I could not spend a lot of time there. It was warmer then here (Boston) but we needed to layer and wear coats probably high 50s low 60s. Carmel was beautiful and I enjoyed walking the shops. Monterey was very touristy, t-shirts and fudge. Both my husband and I commented that we should have stayed in Carmel.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I'd go with the garden view rooms. You are going to be there for two days and will be out and about. I've stayed at the Plaza a few times and don't remember hearing the seals bark in such a way as to keep me awake. There are some things to consider at the Plaza..make certain you do not have a room over the entrance. We once had a room there and the valet service/cars all hours of the day was a drag. By facing the bike trail, I assume she means the path that runs along the water. This would probably be the front of the hotel. There is no parking lot at the Plaza to my memory but the entrance does have lots of car activity.
The valet service is at the main hotel building. You may be across the street which should be ok.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:33 PM

Hi There, I live in the area and cannot believe the price of the Mty. Plaza Hotel that time of year. Have you called the Hotel directly? Carmel i would think, would be cheaper. The front of the hotel faces a street, the back of the hotel of course is situated facing the ocean, and the bike trail faces more toward the wharf if that is what she is talking about . Did you try the Doubletree or Marriott? They both have
veiws.Just not on the ocean the way Mty. Plaza is. Did you look into the Spindrift Inn?Its right on Cannery Row and is just charming.Of course you can hear the seals at night. I lived right near the wharf for sometime and finally got used to it. You can hear them 1/2 mile away!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 03:44 PM

The Spindrift Inn is nice. Our room was a king-corner room and oceanview. There is a featherbed, fireplace, nice hardwood floors, marble bathrooms and a breakfast delivered to your room in the morning. We received a $400/night room for 50% off in the Entertainment Book.
They are not in the book this year. The location is walking distance to everything in Cannery Row. ***kim***
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

I didn't even consider the Spindrift Inn because the Fodor's 04 says "this is a place for adults; families would not be comfortable here."

As far as Carmel being cheaper, the rates at the resorts were at least twice as much in Carmel. The B & Bs look more reasonable, but so far the ones I have checked do not have rooms with two beds, which we need for our teenaged son and daughter. I am also a very light sleeper and worry about thin walls in a B & B. La Playa in Carmel has a 2-bedroom cottage listed on their website for $550/night, which would be comparable to the price we're paying at the Monterey, but I think my husband and daughter are wanting to stay at a place with exercise facilities. We are probably going to be there 4 nights, not two, because we are once again rethinking our decision to drive all the way down to Hearst/Cambria.

Regarding the Monterey Plaza, I just got a confirmation sheet in the mail that lists "Fitness $15-optional". Does this mean they charge additional for use of the exercise facility? That is outrageous at those prices! I'll call them to find out.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:51 AM

Yup..they charge extra for the exercise facilities. I also think it's a bit much but I will say the equipment is great!(Never have I liked a hamstring machine until I used the one at the Plaza). The treadmills face out to the Bay and there are two hot tubs on the rooftop.Just to throw something else into the works..check out the Doubletree. You will be in close walking distance to everything as well. Friends recently stayed on the Club floor for $130/noc for a double.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 07:53 AM

BTW: I think you can still come from outside the hotel and use the spa for the same price per day.