Memphis in May (BBQ)

Search

Memphis in May (BBQ)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis in May (BBQ)

The various Food Network shows about the BBQ fest Memphis in May have inspired me to attend! I know the festival is held in Tom Lee Park so would like to know what hotels are nearby. I prefer hotels with some local flavor and ambience but the Peabody is too expensive for this trip, so am OK with chain hotels (Marriott, etc.). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 02:56 PM

Over time, we've stayed in lots of downtown hotels (including the Peabody and Madison) and our current favorite is the downtown Marriott Residence Inn. It's in a convenient location, the rooms have fully-equipped kitchens, and the hotel provides very good free breakfasts.

The rooftop has a wonderful view of the river with lots of chairs and tables. I can highly recommend it!

Hopefully, you understand that visitors don't get to taste the BBQ that's being judged.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM

vickie - I just topped an old thread about Memphis in May that'll give you more specific information about the BBQ.
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM

I second Marriott Residence Inn.

Here are some great downtown hotels. The Westin and Hampton Inn are the closest to TLP.

Courtyard Marriott Downtown @ 75 Jefferson Avenue, Memphis, TN 901 - 522 - 2200.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Hampton Inn @ 175 Peabody Place, Memphis, TN 901 - 260 - 4000.

…hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml…

Holiday Inn Select @ 160 Union Avenue, Memphis, TN 901 - 525 - 5491.

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/sl/1/en/hotel/memdn

Springhill Suites Downtown @ 21 North Main Street, Memphis, TN 901 - 522 - 2100.

marriott.com/hotels/…
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Have you researched your trip to BBQ Fest? I have been cooking in the contest for over a decade, and many people who come from out of town do not know about the rules.

This is a speel I give to everyone that has never been to the contest.

First let me state that the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Contest is an amazing sight to behold...The sweet smell of hickory hangs thick in the air. Booths (some 3 levels tall) line the mile long park. Over 100,000 people flock to this Mecca of BBQ every year to eat, drink, and worship at the altar of swine.

The Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest, or the WCBCC as it is called, is a battle between more than 250 BBQ teams from across the globe. Held every year on the third weekend in May, Thursday thru Saturday, it is certified by Guinness as the "Worlds Largest Pork BBQ Contest". Believe it or not, over the course of three days, over 84 tons of pork are cooked and consumed.

For the Average Joe there is a huge drawback to the festival, teams are NOT ALLOWED to sell or give out samples to the general public. Due to Health Code regulations the teams can only give food and beverages to "invited guests". The best way to experience the contest is on a team, or at least in a team booth, otherwise you will be on the outside of a fence looking in to a booth full of unobtainable BBQ. There are BBQ Vendors but it is not the same taste or the quality that the competition BBQ is. The nights are full of raging parties, some of the larger booths have DJ's, light shows, dance floors and multiple bars.

If you decide not to join a team, the best time to go is between 11am and 3pm on Thursday and Friday. You can actually talk to the teams, and usually will get invited in for a bite and a beer. If you are planning on going then do a little leg work a few months beforehand, say February and March.

NOW- If you do a little internet leg work you will find that in the months prior to the contest, say Feb and March, you have the ability to join many of the teams through their facebook and webpages. If you just want to attend the festival and not be on a team then you have many options -

1. Get on Facebook and the web and make friends with some teams (Start with mine if you like, we have people from all over the country come and hang with us)

2. The Peoples Choice Contest - From 2-6pm on Thursday and Friday of the contest. $4 gets you 5 samples of BBQ which you vote on, the winner is determined by the masses.

3. Cooker Caravan - This program is free and lets you tour team booths*Thursday and Friday
11:30 am - 3:30 pm
(last tour leaves at 3:30 pm)
*Saturday
10:30 am - 2:30 pm
(last tour leaves at 2:30)Teams give you guided tours of their booths, and here's a little secret...a few of us will invite you back for the party

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ
Memphis TN - Buffalo NY
Old Feb 5th, 2011, 05:07 AM

If you plan to attend and want to stay downtown get a hotel room now. Find one with a no-fee cancellation policy. Rooms book quickly and the prices increase as it gets closer to Memphis in May.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 01:54 PM

There is also a Doubletree downtown that is close. The last time I stayed there which was 8-9 years ago the hotel was undergoing a complete renovation.
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM

I thought the doubletree just closed a few weeks ago? Is it back open?
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM

nevermind...it is the benchmark that closed for awhile
Old Feb 6th, 2011, 06:23 PM

To my knowledge, the Doubletree is still open. It's across the street from the Peabody.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Great info - and thanks to Neil & Susan for the caveats about sampling the BBQ! I read the details on the BBQ web site and noticed that the Caravan Cooker sounded like a good way to visit some teams and the People's Choice is a way to sample. I like the idea of the Marriott Residence Inn and Hampton Inn so will check their rates and make a refundable reservation now. THanks everyone!!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Update - just made a reservation at the Doubletree ($174 a night) since the rates at the other hotels were much higher. It's refundable until 30 days in advance so that gives me time to finalize my plans and, if necessary, cancel the hotel. Thanks for the tip about booking early!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Have fun, Vickie!
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 01:02 PM

Vickie...If you are on Facebook friend the team (Too Sauced To Pork) or shoot me an email [email protected] We'll get ya'll in the tent and give ya a meal you won't forget

Neil Gallagher
Pitmaster - Too Sauced To Pork Championship BBQ
Memphis TN - Buffalo NY