Search

Memphis in May

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Memphis in May

My husband and I are going to the Memphis in May BBQ festivities. Any recommendations for a hotel (Marriott/Radisson/Peabody)?? Any MUST GO TO restaurants, or other things to see or do? Any comments, good or bad would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Welcome to the Fodors board newtravel. There's a pretty good search engine here. If you type Memphis or Memphis in May or Memphis hotels etc. in the search this forum box above, all previous posts on that subject will show up on the left side.

It's been quite some time since I was in Memphis but the Peabody is still THE famous place to stay. If money is no object, it's an experience.

My favorite ribs are at the Rendezvous and from recent posts, it's still THE place for dry ribs. Enjoy.
Old Aug 22nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
MD4

My husband and I are former Memphians who make it back every year for Memphis in May bbq. The best advice I can give you is make your hotel reservations NOW-I made ours just the other day, and checking online quite a few hotels claimed to be sold out/not available. There were rooms at the Residence Inn and the Radisson. You can always make a reservation now and keep checking with other properties in the coming months for openings.

These hotels are within reasonable walking distance to the bbq:
- Springhill Suites
- Sleep Inn
- Hampton Inn & Suites, Peabody Place
- Holiday Inn Express
- Radisson
- Residence Inn
- The Peabody (will be very pricy and the rooms aren't worth it- visit the lobby instead)

Other hotels, a little further away:
- Comfort Inn
- Marriott
- Wyndham

I sencond the recommendation for the Rendezvous for ribs, if you aren't burned out from bbq at the contest. There's also Cafe 61 and Automatic Slim's on 2nd St. for eclectic, Huey's also on 2nd for the best burgers, Cafe Samovar on Union if you want to try Russian- there's lots of great places, just walk around and check out menus. Also highly recommend riding the trolley the full loop to have a great overview of downtown.
If you have more questions, please post. Happy to help.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help already everyone. We have booked a room at the Radisson, and from what we have read, it is a great spot with a great location. Definitely planning to take in the trolley ride, the Peabody ducks and a cruise down Beale street. Are there any really great bars/with music that you can recommend on Beale street. How far is Graceland from downtown, and is it worth the ride?We will be there for the entire BBQ fest. Is there anything else specific that anyone can recommend. Can't wait for May. Also, what is the weather normally like at that time of year?
Once again, thanks for all comments.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM
MD4

Yes, the Radisson is a good central location. Most of the bars on Beale have live music- pick up a Memphis Flyer (free- you'll see the stands all over downtown), the local weekly, for listings.
Graceland is about 25-30 minutes from downtown. It is interesting to see, especially if you're an Elvis fan, and kinda fun to say you've been. It is very touristy- lots of gift shops and themed places around it. There are several levels of tours you can take- just the mansion, add on the cars, add on the plane, etc.
A historic landmark downtown is the hotel where Martin Luther King, Jr was shot, now a museum. I have not been, but heard it is very well done. Gibson Guitar also has a factory you can tour downtown, as well as a live music venue that's pretty good. Also not far from downtown, again on my list of things to do, is the new Stax museum. And also Sun Studios.
Weather- oh my! Nothing normal about it. Come prepared for everything. This year it rained (and I mean monsoon) everyday and was probably in the 70s. The year before we had a tornado on Friday night. Other years it has been sunny and 90. Definitely bring a light/rain jacket with you, as well as jeans or pants for cooler weather. Most importantly bring comfortable shoes- you will do a lot of walking- and do not wear anything you'd be afraid to get dirty or smelling like bbq. I can promise you this- no matter the weather, we have a good time!