Where to stay in Memphis

May 7th, 2002, 09:30 AM
Crystal

Where to stay in Memphis

My husband and I will be traveling through Memphis in mid-July. Where is a good place to stay? The hotel listings and ratings are so varied. . . Need some current input please!

May 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Big Red

The only place to stay in Memphis and feel as if you have really been there is The Peabody. It's on the expensive side though.

There are several nice places in Germantown which lies just south of Memphis

May 7th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Beth

Do not stay in Germantown. It is a suburb and is nowhere near the sites in Memphis. It is a residential area but does not have a Memhis feel at all. Peabody is great but also out of my price range except for a special splurge. You might try the East Memphis area. This would be on the east side just inside the I-240 loop. The area is nice and still not too far out for visiting sites like Mud Island, Beale Street and the Peabody (must sees) as well as being convenient to Graceland if that is part of your plan. You will not find any unsafe or run down areas in East MEmphis so about any hotel there is fine. You will find all the standards there like Mariott, Hyatt, Embassy Suites etc.

May 7th, 2002, 10:53 AM
susan

There are lots of places to stay downtown that aren't as expensive as the Peabody. (You should definitely make it a point to either go in the lobby of the Peabody for a cocktail or to see the ducks come down in the morning) The Radisson is right across the street and there's a Holiday Inn Express about half a block away. There's also a new Hampton Inn downtown. It's a great area to stay...within walking distance of lots of restaurants and Beale Street, too.

May 7th, 2002, 11:45 AM
MD4

A couple of other places to stay downtown- the new Springhill Suites and Sleep Inn are both on Court Square and on the trolley line. The Talbot Heirs Guesthouse is boutique style- 9 rooms I think, some with kitchenettes and directly across from the Peabody.

For East Memphis, besides the ones listed previously, there's also an Adam's Mark and The Ridgeway Inn (owned by the same people who own the Peabody).

Have a great time. Bring your shorts- it will be hot!

May 7th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Laurel

If you're gonna do it - do it right: The Peabody. No question.

May 8th, 2002, 08:07 AM
T

ttt

May 13th, 2002, 02:54 PM
summer

Coming from Memphis after eighteen years your best place to stay will be Midtown-Memphis that will be downtown. Lots of fun stuff to do right around u and Memphis in May is the best and safe.

May 13th, 2002, 03:36 PM
lee

My husband and I are frequent visitors to Memphis and use priceline.com to get rooms. Since using priceline, we've stayed at the Marriot in downtown Memphis for $45.00 a night, at various times of the year. Sometimes the trips were over the weekend, and other times, the trips were during the week. I highly recommend going on priceline and choosing the downtown area of Memphis, then choosing a 4 star hotel or better. We've gotten the Marriot each time we've done this (at least 4 times). It's a very nice hotel, the trolley stops right in front of it, it's close to the downtown attractions, and it's very easy to hop back onto I-40. While in Memphis, take advantage of the Wonders Exhibit with the "Czars of Russia" at the Pyramid. The cost is about $14.00 per person and the pyramid is in the downtown area, not far from the Marriot. The Wonders exhibits are always great and museum-quality. Just stop by the Peabody to see the ducks, don't stay there.

May 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
abby

We stayed in the Hampton Inn last summer. Great suites. It's right in the heart of downtown and easy walks to almost all sights. It's right across the street from the Peabody, so you can still experience all that and not break the bank. It's also one street over from Beale St. which is a real fun time; especially in the evening. Go to Mud Island. Our kids still talk about that place.

Search this Thread