Search

Napa trip

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:35 PM
Kathy

Napa trip

I could use some advice for a first-time trip to Napa. Where to stay, best spots for tours, bike rentals available? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:51 PM
3 angels

when I first went to Napa, I thought "Napa" was it and stayed there.
Not the case at all....
Don't stay in Napa, I would stay in Calistoga or St. Helena. Much more of what I thought Napa would be like.
Napa city itself is very boring and very much like any other city.
What to do????? Drink and be Merry
Have a blast!

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:18 PM
Paulette

We just returned from a weekend in Napa. We stayed at a very nice bed and breakfast in St. Helena, called Vintage Country Inn. It had a living room with fireplace, bedroom, bath, small dining area, and small patio. With AAA discount, was $216/nite before tax. They serve a nice breakfast too.

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:52 PM
Kelly

You will find lots of info if you do a "search" on this site.
Just type in Napa Valley in the search space and click on California. There are some very comprehensive reports on trips to area by other posters..
good Luck....

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:18 AM
sarah

Kathy,

Napa is great fun. For a first visit. Go to Robert Mondavi or Beringer forthe best tour/intro to wine. Then hit all the other wineries. Try to get to Calistoga and have a "treatment" of some kind. Cool little town.

Then head back down the Silverado Trail from Calistoga.

I am not a biker, but those who have said it is not necessarily bike friendly. No lane. Sandy shoulders and with all the intended wine you'll hopefully consume - maybe four wheels under you, might be better.....

Go to V. Satui Winery to their market/deli for some happy hour fixins in you room. Diner choices are infinite. Maybe Tra Vigne in St. Helena.

Bon Apetite.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
CalifHiway

"Four wheels + intended wine you'll hopefully consume=DUI" as we say in the bizz.
You don't want to stay a few days at the "Graybar Hotel". Not much of a view.
Drive carefully. Anything over .08 you're aiming and not driving.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:46 AM
speedo

As a native of Napa before it was "Napa", should you catch a clear day, drive up Atlas Peak (east of town) and take a look to the southwest. From that vantage, the valley looks directly onto San Francisco.. Further to the northwest, check out Pope Valley and Angwin (a few miles northeast of St. Helena).

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:52 AM
bibi

go to praeger port works. a must!

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
sonomafan

If you do some research, you'll find that most people enjoyed Sonoma Valley more than Napa. Prettier, more spread out and quieter. Wines evry bit as good if not better.