Need help planning a weekend in Nashville Jan. 10

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping the Ravens win in Miami next week, and that they then travel to Nashville to meet the Titans. If so, my wife and I are thinking of coming to Nashville for the game - we've never visited Nashville, but we have always wanted to as we appreciate country music and BBQ.

I'm looking for recs on areas/hotels to stay in, music venues, things to do Saturday during the day, and food. It would be nice to be able to go to the Opry and walk or take a close cab to music venues in the evening. We probably will have a car.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 10:20 AM

The Opry has one show on Friday night and two shows on Saturday night. If I'm reading right, that playoff game will be Saturday at 4:30? In that case, I'd come in on Friday and go to that Opry show, OR have a very busy Saturday and go to the late Opry (9:30). Lucky you - the Opry web site (opry.com) says Loretta Lynn is performing that weekend! It also has the Grascals scheduled for Friday, who I've heard are really good. Other performers will be listed closer to the date. During the winter the Opry is at the Ryman, which is right downtown, so you won't have to drive out to Opryland.

As far as other things to do, if you're interested in country music, I'd say a visit to the Country Music Hall of Fame is in order. It's downtown just south of Broadway, and across from the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, which is fantastic. If you do the Opry on Friday night and are looking for something to do Saturday after the game, there are several honky-tonks on Lower Broadway and 2nd Avenue, or tons of other music venues around town. A lot of the live music is actually rock, rather than country; you might try the Station Inn if the honky-tonks aren't your speed.

Is there any sort of food you'd like besides barbecue? What about a budget? Jack's Barbecue is downtown right next to the Ryman and Tootsie's. Hog Heaven is down by the Vanderbilt campus. Judge Bean's just moved to Greer Stadium, home of our minor league baseball team. I've not been up there. Witt's is a Nashville chain with a few locations. If you're planning on mostly staying downtown, Jack's is probably your best bet.

Speaking of, if your itinerary mostly involves the game, the Opry and the Hall of Fame, I'd stay downtown. There are several chain hotels, including a Hilton right behind (I think) the Hall of Fame.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM

I second Whitt's BBQ. I grew up in Nashville and moved to AL. When I go to Nashville to visit family I always bring a big thing of Whitt's BBQ and their cornbread back home with me. It would be hard to beat!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 01:54 PM

smetz - Kickoff is at 3:30 PM (we are in Central time). Downtown is a good place to stay. As mentioned the Hilton Suites is a block off Broadway (the main thoroughfare) and directly across from the Country Music Hall of Fame. Downtown is completely walkable. Other hotels are the Sheraton, Renaissance, Doubeletree, Courtyard by Marriott, Wyndham Union Station and Hermitage (pretty pricy). Jack's is really the only BBQ choice downtown but it is pretty good.

Enjoy your visit as much as you can because we will be kicking your booty back to Baltimore!

Go Titans!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

"Enjoy your visit as much as you can because we will be kicking your booty back to Baltimore!"

That's why I think Nashville would be a great trip for it, since there are so many other things to do besides the game!

Actually, we already beat the Titans once this year, it was just a bad call at the end of the game that saved you!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 02:57 PM

There is a local place downtown called Demo's. Not fancy but pretty decent food at a reasonable price. It is right off Second Ave. and easy to find.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

jent - your suggestion of the Opry on Friday night, followed by music bars after the game sounds great. We'd definitely prefer country to rock, considering the location.

As for other types of food, french & italian are what I have the greatest difficulty getting around Baltimore. Budget wise, $50 per person + drinks would be good for a non-BBQ dinner.

BTW, when you say honky-tonks, what is the atmosphere like - do I have to fight someone if they look at my girl (or if I look at theirs)?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:30 PM

The best place you can stay is right downtown. Look for something around 2nd Ave and Broadway.Tripadvisor is great for finding your hotel downtown. The honkytonks ARE Nashville and I am sure you won't have to fight anyone unless you are really obnoxious. DH and I have been there many times and we are 60!! It is just fun!They run shuttles on Friday and Saturday nights and the downtown area is very walkable.

Go Titans!!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

"you won't have to fight anyone unless you are really obnoxious."

We got rid of Brian Billick last year.
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM

My husband travels to Nashville on business every other week and I have accompanied him quite a few times.

We like the Hampton Inn & Suites - right downtown and close to the Country Music Hall of Fame. It's fairly new and would include your breakfast.

We like to go to Tootsies for music as well as The Stage and Roberts. We've found good food at Roberts but that would not be BBQ but more your burgers etc. The last time we were there we discoverd the dueling pianos at The Big Bang - fun!

With a car you could also check out the Loveless Cafe. An institution and great food! We like it for breakfast but it's a good 20 minute drive from downtown.

The Opry is a must see - don't miss it!

Since you'll have a car you might like to drive out and visit the Opryland Hotel. It's a huge hotel but has lots of restaurants and shops as well as a "river" that winds through it. That's close to the Opry Mills mall in case you want to do some shopping too.

We were in Nashville for the Titans/Packers game in November and the Titans fans are great! We find the people in Nashville to be extremely friendly and we love that southern hospitality!

Have a great time whatever you decide to do - Nashville is always fun!
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM

Oh, sorry - I forgot the site I googled would have Eastern times for the game! No, you shouldn't have to fight anyone at the honky tonks. (Or at the game. Usually. ) It's basically a bar with a country flavor, I'd say - the one place you might see locals actually wearing cowboy hats and rhinestones. If that sounds fun, you've got several options, as mentioned. If you'd rather sit and listen to music, Station Inn has bluegrass, not rock - that's why I mentioned it, but I wasn't clear, sorry. You might also check out the lineup for the Bluebird Cafe.

Restaurants - I'm not super familiar with most places in your price range, but Margot's, Zola and Tayst are restaurants that get good reviews. They're not necessarily French or Italian, but they should be good. Here's a thread about dining in Nashville:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35114574

Most of those places you'd need a car or cab to get to, although the hotel or restaurant might have shuttles. I believe Sunset Grill and Midtown Cafe have hotel shuttles.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Titans fans who responded earlier - are you looking forward to the game on Saturday? I know I am. Those games between the Titans and the Ravens back when they were in the same division were always hard fought, and the game earlier this season was also. I'm sure the Titans will be favored, though I have not seen any lines yet - I'm guessing 4 or 5 points.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM

Absolutely! I started paying more attention to the Ravens when McNair, Derrick Mason and Samari Rolle all went up there from the Titans. Even though that's not as much of an issue now, it's still a little bit "bigger" game to me! Glad your trip is working out as you planned... so far.