Las Vegas show for mom and daughter

Dec 28th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Las Vegas show for mom and daughter

I am taking my daughter to Las Vegas for her 21st birthday and we are trying to decide on a show.

I am considering O, Mystere, Le Reve and Criss Angel. We have not seen any of the cirque shows.

Based on some reviews, I didn't put Ka or Zumanity on our list.

Your recommendations would be most appreciated.
Dec 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM

How about Mamma Mia? I hear they are leaving soon though and don't know when your trip is.
Dec 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM

Hi, I just returned from Vegas today. I attended "O", "Ka", David Copperfield, and Phantom of the Opera. All great except for "Ka".. not worth the high ticket prices. I've seen Phantom twice before, but this one was the best. I think your BEST bet for you and your daughter is "O".. can't mess with perfection!

LSUsajani
Dec 28th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I saw Mamma Mia in Vegas, and it was far better than the one I saw in New York City.
Dec 28th, 2008, 06:32 PM

One of my best friends sais that as well, KL! I saw it in London and haven't seen the Vegas production. What a fun mother and daughter show though!
Dec 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM

we just took my son to Vegas for his 21st and it was also my husband's 50th...we LOVED LOVE! Great Beatles music and we liked it the best out of all the cirq. de sol. shows we've seen over the years.

Mama Mia would be fun to see also!
Dec 28th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Mamma Mia (if you're going soon), Mystere, Wayne Brady, O, or Jersey Boys would be my recommendations, based on personal experience with my older teens (the oldest is almost 20).

Honestly, the stage production of Mamma Mia is a million times better (IMO) than the movie. People were literally dancing in the aisles at the end--so much fun!!
Dec 29th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Mamma Mia would definitely NOT be a good choice for my daughter! That is so not her kind of music. She would probably enjoy Phantom but I think she's leaning toward a cirque show.

I forgot that I had Love on my list as well. I think O would be great and I should probably make that our choice. I was just intriqued by the idea of the water setting.
Dec 29th, 2008, 07:46 AM

The water setting for "O" is absolutely amazing. The deep tank literally appears and disappears without the audience seeing it happen. One moment they're diving from incredibly high platforms into the "stage", and the next moment the stage has filled in and they're running across it! Sure to be a hit! Phantom had neat pyrotechnics and a couple of "magic tricks" that were fun. I love all the songs too. Anyway, you and your daughter will love it. Have fun!

PS. someone in our elevator saw the Beatles LOVE performance with her daughters and none of them enjoyed it.. but I guess it's just personal taste too.
Dec 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM

I tell you - I have always thought that Mystere is the most fun show I've been to - and I am a HUGE Cirque fan... (didn't like Ka, though....). O would be my second choice. They are both just so amazing.....
Dec 29th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

I believe we've settled on O. Does anyone have any insight as to seats?

I can find balacony in the center. Is that too high? I wanted the 200 section in the middle but can only find 'logia'. The orchestra section is either the far right or 'wet seats' which are like the 2nd row and they appear to be almost too close to see everything.

Thanks!
Dec 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Oh my, now I am looking at Le Reve again because of the difference in prices!

Since she has never seen a Las Vegas show I guess I just need to settle on one, right?!

Dec 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM

"Since she has never seen a Las Vegas show I guess I just need to settle on one, right?!"

Not necessary. One Cirque show, another one can be comedy or something different. Variety is always good, doesn't matter where you are.
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

I don't think I can afford more than one!! Two tickets will cost me almost as much as the hotel bill. And since we'll only be there three nights, I think one night for a show is good.

Since we've not yet been to the Wynn and would like to see that (and the shopping looks great!), we might choose Le Reve. I'm not finding the seats I would prefer for O. (someone else told me the balcony is too high)
Dec 29th, 2008, 12:49 PM

The balcony at O is high. I definitely wouldn't go back more than a row or two.
Jan 1st, 2009, 06:32 AM

I thought O was amazing. If you are still considering going, be sure you are not in the first few rows. You would need to sit back from the stage some to be able to appreciate the performance. We were in the balcony, first row. Nice view, but I would have liked to have been somewhat closer.
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM

I just got back from LV and I saw the Beatles, LOVE. IT WAS FANTASTIC, but then again I am of the "beatles generation". I had a great seat, Section: 208, Row: K, Seat 9. I would consider that like a mezzanine level. I had forgotten how psychadelic the 60"s was, hehe
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:30 AM

<<That is so not her kind of music>>

That comment was "music to my ears." All the Mamma Mia fans can't understand my reluctance to see the show (movie or otherwise) because of the music. I feel the same way about Hairspray. Nice to hear I'm not the sole holdout on the planet!

Incidentally, we loved Mystere. I think your choice of O will be equally as satisfying. Though we haven't seen it, my SIL and her husband thought it was terrific.
Jan 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input, everyone!
I settled on Le Reve for several reasons- smaller theater, good seats at a good price, and the location. I'm sure we'll enjoy it! Now I just have to decide on a restaurant...
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:55 AM

Dear Crest,

"Mama Mia" is just plain fun, whether you love the music or not. It is MUCH better than the movie.

Also consider two show that are less expensive: the comedienne Rita Rudner, who does many funny riffs on women's issues, love, seld-effacing foilbles, etc., all is a classy (NOT vulgar) way. Also: the Gospel Brunch on Sunday at the Mandalay Bay's House of Blues venue. Rousing fun. Of course, check the schedule for any of these shows.

Full disclosure: I've never been a fan of "Circus"-type shows, i.e. flash and acrobatics.
Rely on others of their opinions. I was never impressed with any type of circus when growing up (in NEw York,) either -- 'always preferred Broadway plays, musicals, and cabaret.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO