Madison in the winter?

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madison in the winter?

Can anyone give me some info on places to stay, restaurants to eat at and things to do in Madison during March? I'd love to stay somewhere near the lake (I hear Madison is between two or something like that?), especially with a "lodgy/romantic" feel. Not concerned with prices, so tell me what's the best. Is it worth visiting Madison in the winter or should we hold off until the summer? It's for his birthday and he mentioned wanting to go there (we live in Chicago).
Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM

melhog,

Madison in March is pretty much like Chicago in March. I recently relocated to Madison, have stayed in most of the hotels and can't think of anyy "lodgy" ones. Did stay at an environmentally conscious B&B you could find. There also a B&B near the capitol building called, I think, Mansion Hill you could check out.

Spring and summer are when Madison shines. Farmer's Market, activities on the lake, etc. That may be your best time to bring him up here. For upscale dining, L'Etoile, Harvest, Blue Marlin are all nice.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Make sure you tour the Capitol building! It's just beautiful inside, and there is an observation deck just below the rotunda. Then go to the Capitol snack bar for a coffee or cappuccino to warm up.

I go to Madison in December every year. It's cold and stark, and I suspect March will be very similar. I've only stayed at the Clarion Suites, but it has large rooms, free internet access, free continental breakfast and free afternoon beer and snacks, so it gets a thumbs-up from me!

I have friends who have wanted to take me to Essen Haus (German restaurant / bar), but we've not yet been able to make it happen. I saw the place on Food Network a couple weeks ago and now I will *definitely* put it in my plans on my next visit.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:26 PM

2 B&Bs near the Capitol. The Collins House Inn is right on Lake Mendota. Nice, not too pricey. I think their website is collinshouseinn.com Pix of all the rooms. The other one is not on the lake but very near. It's called the Mansion Hill Inn (I think) Very historic. Also has a website and I think it's mansionhillinn.com If those sites aren't correct, just do a Madison search and those 2 will for sure come up. The environmentally-conscious B&B is called something like the Arbor Inn. Not on the lake, but highly recommended by travelers. Madison is a fun university-town-----but March can still be cold. Walk down State Street (main street between the Capitol and the University). Lots of ethnic restaurants. Go down Willy Street (Williamson Street) Very funky fun shops and restaurants. One of my faves is Jolly Bob's-----funky Caribbean place. Very small, and when the weather's nice, they've got a nice outdoor patio complete with tiki lights. Kind of an upscale Mexican place also on Willy Street is (oops, forgot the name) it starts with a "D". Something like Delmonico's or something tlike that. good Mexican and great margaritas. I had a pepper margarita-----what a punch!Enjoy Madison.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I just remembered, the Mexican place is El Dorado Grill (yea, that sounds just like Delmonicos doesn't it) Another fun place is Restaurant Magnus on Wilson Street (near but not on a lake). And a restaurant right downtown that's been around for a very long time is L'Etoile. Near the capital. Upscale, very good food.
Old Feb 5th, 2005, 02:00 PM

I love El Dorado Grill. Tasty food. As far as lodging, what about Hotel Ruby Marie? I have not been inside, but it looks cute on the website. http://www.rubymarie.com/
It is a B&B type place above the EssenHaus, or in the same block and right across from Lake Monona. I agree, Madison will not be shining in March, any more than Chicago does, but a summer visit would be lovely. The downtown part of Madison is indeed an isthmus between two lakes and in summer there are also water activities to enjoy. We spend alot of our weekends on Lake Mendota on our boat. Madison does have that wonderful summer farmers market and a nice art fair (mid July?).
also take a look at:
http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/recTourism.html
http://www.visitmadison.com/
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:53 PM
bjh

If you want too be close to the lake you might want too try the Edgewater hotel it overlooks Lake mendota and ive heard its one of the best hotels in Madison.Ive heard the cafe on the pier is great for appetizers and cocktails im gonna check it out this summer, but most likely it wont be open in march.You can get more info at there website
http://www.Theedgewater.com you might also want too try the Hilton monona terrece hotel its right next too the Monona terrece convention center its got a nice bar on the top floor with great views of the lake.Also you could check out the new Overture center downtown its brand new and i think its free too go in and look around.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:57 AM

The Edgewater is an excellent hotel... If you want to be near a lake, the Edgewater is the best place. It has floor to ceiling windows overlooking Lake Mendota, and is close to both the Capitol and State St. They have an excellent Sunday brunch as well.

I've stayed at the Hilton Monona Terrace... it was a very nice hotel but much more of a business-type hotel, and further away from State St. and the good restaurants. It's located near more office buildings than anything else.

There are many things to do in Madison, but it would help to know your interests in order to suggest activities.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 07:32 PM

I love Madison and was just recently there. Definitely nicer in the spring/summer though!

I have stayed in the Hilton Monona Terrace and that is a nice hotel. I actually now prefer the Madison Concourse Hotel, the Governor's club. I travel a lot to Madison on business, so maybe it wouldn't be as nice for you, but after a day at work, I love the Governor's lounge for the free cocktails and appetizers.

However, as someone mentioned, both these hotels are sort of businessy, and not overly romantic.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 07:02 PM

The Tornado Room! Amazing steaks, and just a block from the capital.