Lake Placid NY dining options?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be heading to Lake Placid NY in January, and looking for some decent restaurants for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
I have not been to the area in about 10 years. We like to avoid the tourist traps, and prefer good food over expensive fancy atmosphere and service. The Lake Placid Lodge looks like a great dining place, but probably very expensive, but maybe worth a splurge? Any recommendations?
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:20 AM

Gail,
I live in Lake Placid and here are a few of my favorites...Desperado's (mexican), Downhill Grill (little bit of everything), Jack Frost, Lake Placid Pub and Brewery, and the Cascade Inn (on the outskirts of town). These are all inexpensive places but with good food.

Unfortunately, coming to a tourist town any of the restaurants could be busy at that time of year, especially with the large ski tour groups we get. I can tell you that if you don't like crowded than don't go to Great Adirondack Steak and Seafood. They have good food but it's a little overpriced and it's usually very crowded, and the tables are very close to each other. However, I used to work there and I like it there. It's just a matter of taste. Not sure if you will be traveling with kids so that might make a difference. There's usually a wait. Another higher end place would be the Charcoal Pit. Good food, and a local's favorite, but also a tourist favorite...As for the Lake Placid Lodge, I have never eaten there but have visited it. I can tell you that it will be very expensive, but the atmosphere is gorgeous.

If you're looking for a Sunday Brunch buffet the Hilton has a pretty decent one with a lot of options. I used to work there as well but it's been a few years (ok, at least 10) so it may have changed but I don't think it would have changed much. As for other breakfast options, Jack Frost is inexpensive and good. There's also a diner, which I've never been to, even though I live right down the street

I think I've covered most of it. We have many restaurants but these are my personal recommendations. If you have any more questions let me know and I'll try to answer as best as I can. I hope you enjoy our town.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

ethel-
Thanks so much for ALL the recommendations. The best ones are always from the locals. Appreciate your help!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:25 PM

We have always enjoyed The Brown Dog.Upscale deli andwiches during the day and a great little bistro at night.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Since this is an old thread I'll bump it up because I need some suggestions for October 12th-15th. Looking for great food and great atmosphere any price range. Heard Carribean cowboy, The View, Kanu and Interlaken Inn are some of the best. Any comments?
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:25 AM

I used to volunteer in the visitor center in Lake Placid and we had many unhappy visitors who had food at the brown dog. Nothing special with very upscale prices.
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM

You can always count on a great food at Interlaken Inn. Expensive but always fabulous. Check their website for a sample of their menu. If you go to The View you may get a great meal or not. You never know. Mirror Lake Inn has a good food too but Interalekn is still #1, IMO
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

We recently bought a home in Lake Placid.
IMO-
The local favorites seem to be.
The Brown Dog- has been written up in The New York Times and was featured on the Racheal Ray show-
The Carribean Cowboy- She is trained in England-
The Lake Placid Lodge-
Is being rebuilt because of fire.
The Interlaken is hit or miss and very expensive but worth going in and taking a look.It is very beautiful.
Have fun...you will enjoy L.P.We are so glad we bought a second home here!
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:25 PM

We love The Cottage at Mirror Lake Inn and the main dining room too.

I read that Paul smith's College has sold the Hotel Saranac -- too bad as it was a wonderful place to get a really good meal with the students getting first hand experience. I also read that the students will be getting that experience now at Crown Plaza Resort. Deal to close in early 2007, so maybe you can still eat there? If so, do it, cause the food was really good.http://www.hotelsaranac.com/dining.asp

Debi
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:19 PM

PAT2003-
Hello,
I am the owner of The Brown Dog Cafe and Wine Bar in Lake Placid, New York.
I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our resturant. Should you happen to be in Lake Placid or if you live in Lake Placid. Please stop by and let us know who you are.We will buy you lunch or dinner on the house with one of our best bottles of wine.
I realize in being in the resturant business for over 30 years and 8 years at The Brown Dog we cannot make everyone happy.It just happens and it is life.It still bothers us because we care so much and try so hard.
Alot of our hard work has paid of with wonderful acolades from The Boston Globe, The New York Times,Ski Magazine, The New Yorker and being on The Racheal Ray Show.We have celebrites that have dined with us such as Bruce Springsteen,Bob Woodward, Kyra Sedwick to name a few.
However, I feel it is unfair and quite slanderous to say that alot of unhappy visitors have eaten at The Brown Dog. When in 8 years of business and a member of the visitors bureau this has never ever come to our attention so that we could remedy the situation.
I will make it a special point in the morning to call the visitors bureau and find out who all these unhappy visitors are.
Again..Pat 2003 should you be in Lake Placid in the near future..Please stop in so that we can give you a better idea of our resturant, how much pride, hardwork and care that we put in to it.
We would Love to do that for you.
Kelly Tennant
Owner
The Brown Dog Cafe and Wine Bar