where to stay and dine in Salt Lake City

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the last night of our journey bringing us to Salt Lake City, any suggestions on a quality inn, B&B or small hotel...as well as for our last dinner before catching a plane at 10 am the next morning to take us home?
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:43 AM

Hi Geezer,

Very nice small boutique hotel called the Hotel Monaco in downtown. A restaurant on the first floor of the same historic building is called Bambara. Very excellent restaurant.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:51 AM

The Shilo Inn is a good option in Salt Lake City -- friendly and helpful staff, good location for easy drive to airport in the morning; also good location for walking to several restaurants in the downtown area. Baci Trattoria is right around the corner.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Hi,

I second the Shilo Inn as a possibility.

SLC isn't like most towns where there are huge, 4-star international chain hotels dotted all around. The Shilo Inn IS about the tallest structure in its little area.

I'd automatically want to stay within walking distance of the Mormon Temple, just because it is an awesome sight whether you're religious or not.

There's another hotel right across the street from the Temple Square, USED TO BE a Howard Johnson's but I don't know what it is anymore.

Shopping mall is across one street from the Temple Square, so that is convenient to either of these two places.

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 11:58 AM

If you have a car, Cafe Trang at 818 South Main has really good food. It's in an unassuming store front location with parking around the side, but the Vietnamese and Asian food was terrific. We ate there twice on a recent trip to Salt Lake City.

We also stayed at the Shilo Inn and thought it was a good bet for downtown Salt Lake City.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I don't know when you are planning on traveling to Salt Lake but a nice hotel to stay out is The Inn at Temple Square, (www.theinn.com). It is centrally located in Salt Lake and close to many tourist attractions and restaurants. It is located directly across the street from famous Temple Square and next door to two local shopping malls. Also, the Little America Hotel might be a nice place to look into, (www.littleamerica.com/slc/). As for restaurants, there are two located on the top level of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (next to Temple Square and across the street from The Inn at Temple Square). The Garden has great food at a reasonable price, or The Roof, if you are looking for a more upscale restaurant. I would also recommend that you check with the hotel you decide to stay at for recommendations to a great restaurant. Many times the staff has had to check out restaurants in the area in order to recommend them to guests so I would get opinions from them. Hope this helps. Have a great trip.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM

Is there a partiular type of cuisine you'd like to eat that night? If so, we can give more specific restaurant recommendations.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Another small boutique hotel option in the Peery Hotel. Christopher's Seafood and Steak House is on site. The hotel is downtown and also within walking distance of many other restaurants.

www.peeryhotel.com
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I would recommend the Peery Hotel. It is a small hotel in a historic downtown building. Martine is a Tapas type restaurant that is very popular and is located about a block south of Temple Square. Another suggestion is the Vienna Bistro on Main Street that has some pretty good Austrian wine as well as some great desserts.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM

I second the suggestion for the Hotel Monaco and Bambara. Or perhaps Bambara for breakfast and the Market Street Broiler for dinner. Shilo wouldn't be my first or second choice.
Old Aug 10th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info. I am about to look into the hotels recommended and i am sure we will dine at one of the restaurants suggested...the helpfulness and usefulness of this site continues to impress!