Hotel for one night in Salt Lake City

Jul 28th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Hotel for one night in Salt Lake City

DD and I will be making a brief stop in Salt Lake City in early September. While there we would like to see Temple Square and the State Capitol and would prefer to be within walking distance.

I would prefer a Hilton family property to get points but am open to others. I'm considering Hilton Garden Inn (250 West 600 South) or Hampton (425 South 300 West). I've seen comments that the area of the Hampton may not be great at night for 2 women traveling alone. The Hilton Garden Inn looks a bit far for walking to sites.

Other suggestions or maybe I should just plan to drive to sites? Is it easy to find parking?
My hotel budget is up to $200/night but would prefer to stay closer to $100.

Thanks!
Jul 28th, 2009, 06:42 PM

They have a free light rail line that stops a few yards from the Little America hotel.

I was there last year and it's in a great location, very nice and was inexpensive.

For a quick getaway to the airport we stayed in the motel style area that has self-parking. The rooms were very nice as is the lobby and restaurant where we ate breakfast.
Jul 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM

You would be fine at the Hilton Garden Inn. A Trax (light rail) stop is about 3 blocks from the Hotel on Main Street and about 5th South. Trax is free downtown.
Jul 28th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Pat,

I wouldn't stay at the Hampton. Not a good area and SLC doesn't really have many bad areas. The Hilton Garden is just so-so. If you plan to "walk" to the State Capitol, you will probably feel it's more of a HIKE. Steep uphill and many blocks (our blocks are looong.) Best to take TRAX part way or a taxi, unless you are in good shape and used to the altitude. The views from the Capitol at night are fabulous!
Jul 29th, 2009, 08:32 AM

Be aware that blocks in SLC are not short.