Search

Looking for a CA Wine Country hotel that takes reservations for just one night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a CA Wine Country hotel that takes reservations for just one night

Hi everyone,

I'm a San Francisco resident who's planning an overnight trip to wine country to celebrate a friend's 30th birthday. She has a distinct idea of what she wants to do while we're there, so I'm trying my best to accommodate her wishes, but it turns out it's a pretty hard combination to find.

Does anyone know of a hotel or inn that can do the following?

- accept a one-night reservation instead of the two-night minimum

- has a pool

- charges under $300/night

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! We are going at the end of April on a weekend night. I've spent many hours online and have come up with no leads.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 12:51 AM

Napa -

Marriott Napa Valley Hotel % Spa $269

Embassy Suites Hotel Napa Valley $259

Both hotels take 1 night reservations and both have pools.

The above rates are for 4/26-27
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM

The El Pueblo Inn in Sonoma (the town) just accepted a pseudo reservation from me for the night of April 26, which is a Saturday, with no minimum stay required.

This is a very nice property with gardens and a pool and it is a very short drive, or longish walk, to the lovely Plaza from the Mexican occupation days, ringed with historic adobe buildings housing boutiques and restaurants.

A do-it-yourself waffle breakfast is included.

There are several great restaurants in town...among them The General's Daughter, in the house that the last Mexican alcalde, Mariano Vallejo, built for his youngest daughter, Natalia, upon her marriage, and The Girl and the Fig, in the Sonoma Hotel, and the El Dorado Kitchen, in the El Dorado Hotel (both of these are historic properties.) There is also Cafe La Haye, and etc. etc. Sonoma is known for its good restaurants.

I have stayed here many times and Sonoma is my former "home town", so my recommendation is based on experiencee.

The Sonoma Valley is 18 miles long and has over 44 wineries. It is very scenic.

If you think this would work for you, I would jump on it.

http://www.elpuebloinn.com/pages/area.html

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM

You already know the problem--most everyone wants two nights on a weekend. Can you go Sunday night? You may have to pop for the extra night. Calistoga is a good option as lodging tends to be less expensive. I've had nice stays at both Doc Wilkinson's and the Roman Spa (with a group of women friends who can be picky but they liked both). There's also a nice Best Western, just on the edge of Calistoga. You could splurge on dining/spa activities.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Check out the Sonoma Mission Inn in Boyes Hot Springs, we just stayed there for 2 nights and it was wonderful! This was our 4th stay here. Great pool areas!

In Calistoga there is a Comfort Suites North and the Best Western Stevenson Manor, they may accept one night stays and both places have great pool areas! ***kim***
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate your help. Let me know if you ever need any help with trip planning for San Francisco.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM

The Fairfield Inn in American Canyon might work. I stayed recently on Friday night for one night for about $100 including breakfast. Room was very comfortable with free parking.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM

I am quite familiar with the area but need a bit more information. Sonoma and Napa counties cover a very large geographical area. Can you give me an idea which town you want to stay for one night?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Yes do let us know what town or towns you want to stay in? Recently I stayed just a Friday night at the El Bonita Motel in St. Helena. The motel got great reviews on tripadvisor and I was pleased with my stay. They do have a pool. St. Helena is such a cute town and you're also close to Yountville. So it all depends where you want to be.

Old Mar 30th, 2008, 07:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Go to www.kayak.com
Use their search function to find rooms for your date.
I did a test for Napa for one weekend night at the end of April and came up with lots of options.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 05:56 AM

The Hilton Garden Inn in Napa-not in the downtown area, but very nice.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great advice, everyone!

I was open to any town as long as it had character. We ended up booking with El Pueblo Inn in Sonoma.

I'll let you know how it goes, and will be sure to remember your other suggestions for future trips. Thanks!
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM

I think you will be happy with your choice. The gardens between the buildings are pretty and the pool is lovely. You are only about a mile from the Plaza.

From the Plaza you can walk to Sebastiani Winery, if you wish. Just go east from the Plaza up Spain Street for a few blocks and you run right into it. If you are interested in the history of wine in California drive east of town to Old Winery Road where you will find the Buena Vista Winery. It was to this property where the Hungarian Count Haraszthy (sp?) brought the first European wine grape cuttings to California, thus starting it all. The winery is charming, small and built of stone, situated under oak trees.

Be sure to give your friend plenty of time to shop in the boutiques around the Plaza. If you want a picnic, either at a winery or elsewhere you can pick up the fixings at the Sonoma Cheese Factory on the Plaza.

I really would suggest dinner at The General's Daughter, on Spain Street west of the Plaza, which is located in the house that the last Mexican alcalde built for his youngest daughter, Natalia, upon her marriage. Excellent food and romantic atmosphere.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM

We ran into the same thing, many had 2 night minimum. But we found & stayed at the El Dorado in Sonoma for just one night, on a Sunday. (back in Aug. '06). Made reservations at least a month in advance.