Last Minute Question!

Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Question!

We are leving Friday morning for NY. Any suggestions for lunch spots near the 9/11 Memorial? We are interested in a light lunch-- sanwiches, soups, pizza and that sort of thing.
One more question: What is the best way to get from NYC to Boston is you don't want to rent a car--train or plane?

Thanks for any advice you can give me on either subject!
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:48 PM

Train
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Amtrak train. The Acela is not necessary (expensive and only 30 minutes faster).
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM

Unfortunately, the financial district is pretty devoid of good food (or character) in my opinion. Your best bet may be a yelp search for the area, or just wander. Likely the further you get from ground zero, the better. As far as transport to Boston, I agree that train is better than flying, but if you've got time for the train, you may as well save a LOT of money and take a Bolt bus. Significantly cheaper, totally clean, pleasant, and easy journey. www.boltbus.com
Good luck!
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 01:36 AM

If you are already in the city the train is just as fast as the plane an a lot more comfortable. If you buy tickets now you may still be able to get a discounted fare. Agree not to bother with the Acela - more money but not really much faster.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Just one more thing to consider about going to Boston. The train can be really expensive (as in over $200) for this route if you have waited until the last minute. Check prices before committing. BoltBus or Megabus will be cheaper, so that may be your only realistic alternative if you have not yet bought tickets for the bus or plane. During high season (now) these trains do fill up, so you really do need to buy those tickets immediately, so Acela (which fills up later with last-minute business travelers) could be your only alternative.

There are delis around the corner from the Visitor Center and fast-food places on all the side streets. But I can't think of anything really good. It might be worthwhile to visit the newest Shake Shack on Murray Street (but that's a few blocks north) if you aren't going to one of the others.

The best way there would be to cross West Street via the pedestrian bridge, turn right (i.e., north), and then I'd walk along the river through the World Financial Center. It's a little meandering, but at least you have a view.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 08:42 AM

There's a (very good) French cafe chain very close-by. A fine light lunch, IMHO:

http://www.lepainquotidien.us/#/en_U...tery_park_city
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 11:07 AM

On Cedar Street off of Greenwich - right by Ground Zero - there's a place I believe is called "Panini & Co." Has salads, sandwiches. Gets very busy at lunchtime as do all the places around there as everyone in the Financial District goes to lunch!! Lots cheaper than Le Pain Quotidien, (previous poster) but busier and no wait service. You order at the counter and bring your own food to your table.
Old Oct 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all the ideas. We'll try for train tickets. We like Le Pain Quotidien, but ate there last year. Since we have plenty of time, we'll walk to the Shake Shack on Murray St.