Advice re Catania train Stn.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a few days we're taking the train from Palermo to Siracusa. There's only about 10 min. to change trains at the Catania Stn, and we'll have our luggage so I'm not optimistic about making our connection unless the next train is super close. The next train fm Catania to Siracusa is 2 hrs later. I vaguely recall that someone said the bus from Catania to Siracusa is across from the train Stn. Is that correct? In case you wonder, we're taking the train from Palermo because I can't be on a bus that long without a comfort stop ! Thanks!
Old May 7th, 2016, 06:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Isn't the bus 2 1/2 hours? Often these longer distance buses have facilities on board or make a pit stop halfway somewhere like an Autogrill (perhaps not on a route only 2 1/2 hours long though).
Old May 7th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Catania's station is not that big- if train is on time no problem. Ask the conductor on the train in on what platform the Syracuse train will leave from.
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I also saw that 4 months ago I had asked a similar question! Ha ha, no wonder it seemed vaguely familiar. Good idea to ask conductor. I also was able to see that the bus Stn is only a few minutes away from train Stn so if we miss the train connection we can get a bus. As for the bathroom, I was advised by others not to count on it on a bus. The train also gives me a chance to walk around a bit if my knee gets stiff.
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:01 PM

My knees get stiff too if sitting in one position very long - trains to me are the only way to go if there is a choice- especially for gimpers like us.
Old May 9th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Are you going to Ortigia Island?
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Well, the train was 15 min. Late but I had asked the conductor (per google translate) about the connection, so when she knew we'd miss the connection in Catania, she had us get off at an earlier stop and pick up a train from there. It all worked out well. Yes, we now are in Ortygia as of today. In 2 days we go to Noto so we can see the flower festival.