What to do if we miss our train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! We have train reservations from Paris to Interlaken with a connection in Bern. I'm wondering what to do if we by some chance miss our connection - do we just get on the next train, even though our tickets were for the previous one? Most likely it won't be an issue, but I like to have all my bases covered just in case, especially since we are a group of 6! Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Common sense would dictate that at least one of you go to a ticket window and inquire as to what your options are.

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
And -- it makes a big difference what fare class your tickets are. Discounted tix are often limited to a specific train, full fare ones sometimes can be used on any train on the route.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ruthlesswood,

I would print off a copy of the train timetable to have with you. then at least you know what time the next train should be.

have you looked at the [presumably] web-site where you bought the train tickets to see if there are any conditions?

regards, ann
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:00 PM

If you have one of those discount tickets that are valid on one train/connection only and you miss your second train due to a delay of the first one, let the conductor on the FIRST train, i. e. BEFORE arriving in Bern, write a confirmation of the delay onto your ticket. Then you'll be all right to get on the next train.

If your tickets are full fare, there is nothing to worry about, you may take any train of the same or a lower category on that route.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 02:03 PM

ruth -

Also make sure that the six of you have a cell phone or another way of being in touch with each other in case you get separated. Or, at least have a "meet up" spot.

It's happened to us and it's nice to know that you can always find each other.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Perhaps we should establish just which train it is that you think you might miss/
Then we need to establish why you think you could miss it.

If you fear missing the train that leaves Paris, I am puzzled because I would never schedule a tight connection on the day of arrival.

If the problem is the train from Bern to Interlaken, so what? Take the next one.

Your reservations I presume are on the TGV that leaves Gare de Lyon at 7:44 with a change in Bern where you have ample time to make the connection - 35 minutes. If you have seat reservations, you might lose those but the ticket on the Swiss train is still valid.

Take a couple of taxis to Gare de Lyon, and leave yourself enough time to find the train to Bern. Gare de Lyon is a big station and can be confusing to a first timer, or even a second timer.

I also suggest you know ahead of time which station you want in Interlaken, West or Ost. Conceivably, it makes no difference if your hotel is halfway between the two.

I guess I don't understand the problem unless some of the people in your group suffer from terminal inertia or tend to go wandering off in a daze like some of my family.

Old Aug 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM

> I'm wondering what to do if we by some chance miss our connection - do we just get on the next train, even though our tickets were for the previous one?

Within Switzerland the tickets are not for a certain train - you can take ANY train on the route (even higher category, Quokka - SBB doesn´t have any differences in fares between train types like DB does)
It has to take a catastrophe for the TGV from Paris to be delayed by 35 min, but if it happens, there are 2 trains per hour from Bern to Interlaken - just take the next one.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:07 AM

As pointed out, if the connection you fear missing is in Bern there is no problem. There are many trains to Interlaken with departures up to a little after midnight.

If your connection is in Paris from some other unmentioned mode of transport then you have a problem. The TGVs to Bern run at 0744, 1644, and 1804. Your TGV ticket includes a seat reservation so you must be on the correct train. If you miss your train go to the ticket office and see what they can do for you.