LA Experts Hotels Please advise !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, Planning a firstime LA visit this December. Any opinions on The Montage vs Beverly Wilshire Four Seasons ??? Then moving on to Santa Monica between the Fairmont
or The Georgian???
Thanks as always for the great insight,
jmw
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in L.A., so I have limited experience in staying at the hotels listed.

The Montage is struggling. You should expect to see some serious deals on rates.

I like the classic Beverly Wilshire and the not-mentioned Peninsula. I like the Belvedere Restaurant in the Peninsula. I haven't stayed at Raffles, but I like its quieter location.

I stayed at the Fairmont a million years ago and would probably pick it over the Georgian, but I haven't stayed at the Georgian.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM

I am not sure if you mean that you are deciding among all the above hotels or if you plan to stay at one of them for a few days and then move to Santa Monica...However, if you are going to be at only one of them and plan on seeing lots of different parts of LA, then there is a lot to be said for the location of the Beverly Wilshire.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:58 AM

I've stayed at the Fairmont and have always had nice experiences there. Never stayed at the Georgian so I can't comment on it. I vote for the Fairmont.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I was going to say the same thing as socialworker, but he/she beat me to it, since both areas are within 5 miles of each other.

The Beverly Wilshire is historical and the exterior can be seen in a number of films -- most notably in recent years, "Pretty Woman". I have heard that the rooms are not large and may be a little tired.

I discovered the Montage about two months ago, when I was going to pick up some Euro at the American Express agency down the street. It is very new and looks great, in a really nice area, and overlooks streets that are much less noisy than Wilshire Blvd. Sorry to hear it's "struggling", but aren't we all (!) which might be one more reason to stay there.

The Fairmont (formerly the Miramar) has its nice bungalow layout close to, but not on, the beach. We had a high school reunion there years ago, and it is a place where they do have meetings and events. It was ok, but to me, remains a remodeled hotel slightly more luxurious than a 3 star motel chain.

The Georgian is an historic beach front hotel that is incredibly well preserved, at least on the outside, and kind of makes you think of one of the places you'd encounter in the movie "Some Like it Hot" (although that was filmed in San Diego at the Coronado Hotel). Again, it's on a busy street (Ocean Avenue), which can be very noisy with vehicles and pedestrians at all hours of the day and night (in fact we were walking along Ocean Avenue last night after seeing the Cirque de Soleil). With any luck, the rooms will be a little larger than the postage stamp rooms of the Coronado, but I haven't been inside to view the rooms.

In short, of the places you mentioned, I'd favor the Montage.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Wow, Surfergirl, you compliment me, as you are a native and I am only a a frequent visitor. DS has lived there for 9 years and we go out there a lot! I expect that our trips out there will continue to be frequent since he is marrying a native Angeleno next May.

BTW, it is "she".
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM

If you trust Tripadvisor, Montage and the Georgia are the two #1s.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Topping for myself. We are planning to stay in two locations while in LA area--Santa Monica & then Bev Hills or ??
Thanks again for your insight
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM

"...& then Bev Hills or ??"

It depends on what you're planning to see/do. The greater L.A. area is the size of Rhode Island, and SM and BH are only 8 miles apart.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 08:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I honestly don't understand the moving bit. Especially between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills. Just doesn't make sense IMO. They are practically next door neighbors (at least by LA basin standards).

Why pack and move just to pack and move. Now, If you were doing something like Beverly Hills to Newport Beach, it might make sense. But BH to SM - not IMO.