LA Hotel -- need to decide between 2 today!

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

LA Hotel -- need to decide between 2 today!

My husband and I (33, no kids) will be in LA for 4 nights from April 22 - 26. We'd like a centrally located hotel for visiting the entire LA area, preferably something in the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood/Sunset Strip area (I'm trying to convince him to go for the Beverly Hills Hotel, but he just won't budge). After checking way too many websites, I'm trying to decide between the following:

Wyndham Bel Age -- non-cancellable web rate of $132 for an "executive studio" (valet parking $18 a day)
Le Meredien Beverly Hills -- $164 for a room or $174 for a studio with breakfast each day (parking $22 a day)
or the Mosaic Beverly Hills Hotel -- standard room for $189 a night (parking $15 a day).

To the extent possible (when not willing to spring for the $350 a night Beverly Hills Hotel) we're looking for an elegant room, a nice pool, and good service, in addition to a good deal of course.

Thanks so much for your quick replies!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Sorry -- screwed up the title, deciding between 3 hotels.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:00 AM

The Wyndham is a pretty good location, but I've heard mixed things about it. Le Meridien is quite centrally located, but word is that the floor you're on really affects your satisfaction (renovations are ongoing). The Mosaic is brand new and quite nice, and its buzz is quite good; of the three, I might lean to this one.

If you can go a bit "Scene" for your stay, have you looked into the Standard on Sunset? Cool vibe, young Industry type hangout, popular watering hole and diner-style resto, and a pool area made famous in "Sex and the City"! What more could you ask for?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion rjw -- I checked out the Standard's web page and they are offering small rooms for $165 a night and medium rooms for $185. We've stayed in similar hotels before (the Paramount in NYC, for example) and I think on this trip we're looking for more "plush" than "hip." But I'll definitely consider it too.

Any other advice about the three hotels I listed?
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:21 PM
tpl

Stayed at Le Meridien 2 weeks ago and loved it. Think we were on the 5th floor. Room had a giant window that opened all the way, and a small, deep soaking tub and separate shower. Very quiet and comfortable. Breakfast was also good and surprisingly reasonable.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:55 PM

One nice thing about Le Meridien: Beverly Center is right there-- as well as a world of restaurants within a very short distance. Any of the hotels you're considering is roughly "centrally-located" (as much as one can be in LA), so I'd go for the best deal, have a good chat with the Reservations agent(s) to get a good room, and maybe have them line up some day spa pampering for yourselves.