As between Relais Christine and D'Aubusson

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to rule out the Luxembourg Parc, given dearth of personal experience from this forum. Although it sounds as if we won't make the wrong decision either way, and risking sounding like I cannot make an independent decision, if you were choosing between the Relais Christine and D'Aubusson, is there one to pick over the other? Relais Christine has a superior double room for 350 Euro, and it includes breakfast (some type of breakfast, I'm sure not the full buffet) and a one day museum pass for 2; D'Aubusson has a double room for 340 Euro, and while its above their standard room, I don't know too much more about it. Comments welcomed. Its our 20th anniversary, I've never been to Paris, and my husband has only once, 25 years ago.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Let me say that I haven't stayed at either of these two hotels. But from what I can gather I think the D'Aubusson's rooms may be a bit larger than the Relais Christine's.
I don't know for sure and I would personally choose Hotel d'Aubusson over Relais Christine if it were me. I like the appearance of Hotel d'Aubusson's rooms better than the Relais Christine's. Also on tripadvisor.com there are recent comments, all very favorable, except for one negative comment. I read they offer Hermes bath amenities too.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 09:34 AM

Having stayed at the Aubusson twice, once in a standard room, another, in the De Luxe room, all I can tell you is that even the standard room is of a very good size, and they all are classic in decor.

Service is impeccable, and all the fixtures, plumbing and appliances are new, meaning that you'll have a modern, a brand new lift in an old, but very well refurbished building.

Everything about D'Aubusson is classy, the bar is a nice place to hang out in the evenings, and the location is very central, as you must already know.

I've heard that some rooms at the Relais Christine are a little small, and the decor is more "French" than D'Aubusson's. Checking out the pictures available on line of both hotels, it would be easy for you to figure out which style pleases you the most.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:33 AM

I've stayed many times at Relais Christine. Twice in August, we were upgraded to a suite, the other times we stayed in very small rooms, even by Parisian standards. I will say that all the rooms we had were well-appointed, immaculate, had great beds, perfect soundproofing against street noise, and excellent air conditioning. The location is hard to beat, but as I remember it, D'Aubusson is almost around the corner, so it might be a better fit for your needs. I would definitely mention to the hotel that it's your 20th anniversary when booking. You might end up with an upgrade, if you're lucky!

Anyway, congratulations!
Anyway, congratulations
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM

We have stayed at the Relais Christine three times and loved it. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the bathrooms very modern, the staff kind and helpful, and the ambience tres charmante. My sons enjoyed playing chess while we sipped a cocktail at the honor bar. It's my favorite hotel in Paris.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Sorry to interrupt but this is for Padbrasher.

I noticed you mention your sons play chess. It's rare someone mentions chess here. My son plays chess also. By any chance are your sons members of the US Chess Federation?

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM

francophile,

My husband also plays chess. He used to do the chess-by-mail games.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:45 PM

francophile03: I only wish my boys were that serious about chess! Although they truly enjoy playing and become extremely intense about their matches, they play very sporadically. My older son(who is off to London tomorrow with his high school drama group) would rather be playing tennis, acting or sleeping, and the younger one is so busy with several sports that he rarely sits down to do anything! However, we have a beautiful chess board prominently displayed in our home and from time to time, it does get used.
Congrats on your sons' commitment to chess. What an excellent endeavor!
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Underhill, my son is hooked on the ICC (Internet Chess Club) which is tied to the US Ches Fed. That's where he chats with his other chess friends. It's good in one way since a player may play people worldwide (fact is even Bobby Fischer plays there once in a while). But it's bad because it's an obsession like Fodors is to us (but we are not so obsessed, I think.
Padbrasher, my son's been playing seriously since he was 9 as chess is his talent although he likes art and just began taking karate.
He's ranked and just got invited to participate in a national tournament next month.
I'm glad to know there are other chess players out there as most people find it to be a nerdy hobby which it really is not.
Thanks for letting me know!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:34 PM

We have stayed in both hotels...the D'Aubusson this April and the Relais Christine in 2002 and 2003. We like both hotels very much...they both have the same great location...on quiet side streets in the busy St. Germain area. We found the service to be very good at both as well. Relais Christine has a lovely living room with an honor bar where we enjoyed coming home after a long day of walking and relaxing with a drink there. The D'Aubusson has a lovely bar with live music...also a welcome retreat at the end of a long day. The standard rooms are larger at the D'Aubusson. I think the D'Aubusson's rate for their standard room is usually less than Relais Christine...this April we paid 260 Euros at the D'Aubusson and the Relais Christine would have been 330. The standard room at the D'Aubsson is larger than the standard at Relais Christine. You cannot go wrong with either hotel though...but I think if you were comparing standard rooms, I would choose the D'Aubusson. There is not that much difference between the standard and the superior rooms at the D'Aubusson. I don't think the superior rooms at the D'Aubusson are worth 80 Euros more than the standard. Since you are comparing superior rooms, it is a toss up.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thorough comparison. It may be an illusory choice, as the D'Aubusson hasn't responded to my email, although they show availability. I've got an offer in hand from Relais Christine, as well as one from the Luxembourg Parc.