COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with luxury hotel for first trip to LA!!!

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to LA for approximately 2 or maybe 3 nights during the summer. We want to stay at a beautiful hotel that is within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, etc. It seems as though its important to be within walking distance of everything, do you agree?? I looked into the Peninsula but it seems as though they are already booked for my travel dates AND i do not think they accept American Express points which is how I would like to pay for the room...

After LA, we would like to spend approx. 3 or 4 nights on the beach. We found a hotel in Laguna Beach that looks beautful called Montage. Is the town of Laguna Beach nice? are there restuarants there or would we be confined to eating in the hotel?

The other option is to venture a little further south and go to San Diego. What are your thoughts? If we do go to san diego, what is the number 1 place there? thanks so much for your help!!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

My thoughts? I'm jealous. No personal experience but while you're waiting for advice check out recs on tripadvisor.com for those locations and on the hotels you are considering as well as reading restaurant reviews. Have fun.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:31 PM
hsv

katie30,

it's sure nice to be walking distance to all the action - I just think this is impossible in L.A.. That city is so spread out, you simply won't be able to avoid using a car.
What might fit your needs, though is the Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel right at the corner of Rodeo Drive and Wilshire Blvd. You've got all the extravagant world class shopping at your doorstep.
Another option might be to stay in Santa Monica, where 3rd St Promenade offers shopping and restaurants. Other (very good) dining options can be found along Ocean Ave..
For a hotel to stay at, the Fairmont Miramar jumps to mind.

Laguna Beach certainly is a lovely spot - and the Montage is pretty new and highly acclaimed. It is located a bit towards the city limits, so downtown Laguna is a bit of a walk away, if I recall correctly.
One good option for dinner is the restaurant and the bar at the Surf and Sand Hotel.

San Diego is not that far away - you should be able to make it there within an hour.
The place to stay would probably be the gloriously old fashioned Hotel Del Coronado right on a strip of beautiful beach on Coronado Island. While I enjoyed staying there, be aware that this is a historic property, so room size is not that spectacular. Also the tourists just taking a tour of the hotel can be a little bit intruding on the privacy of the guests of the hotel IMO.
Another option would be the Westgate Hotel downtown. Wonderful service, but no pool.
In La Jolla, the La Valencia is a graciously historic property and certainly has a lot of flair. It is located across the street and a few steps up from La Jolla Cove.
Great reviews are being heard of the new Lodge at Torrey Pines located by the famous golf course about halfway between La Jolla and Del Mar. This one (as the Westgate and to some extent the La Valencia) isn't on the beach, though.
Great dining in La Jolla at George's at the Cove.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I would stay in Santa monica instead of LA. Third Street promenade is near by along with the Ivy and other great restaurants. Try Fairmont Mira Mar or Shutters on the Beach. There's also the Georgian, too.

Laguna is fabulous. You'll love it.

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all of your suggestions. i narrowed the second half of my trip down to 2 places... montage or the valencia? which is nicer and also more romantic?? thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM

I'll put my vote in for Montage. Staggeringly beautiful setting (and shockingly expensive), awesome hotel restaurant. Having said that, the La Valencia has historic charm that the brand-new Montage can't match, and it IS in La Jolla. I love Laguna and La Jolla, so it's really hard to choose for me.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM

The Montage will be lovely! It will be much nicer than the Valencia. Personally, I also like the "vibe" of Laguna Beach more than La Jolla as well. It is more of an artsy, creative community, La Jolla is more wealthy, conservative. So it depends upon your personality...

If you do change your mind and decide to stay in LA, look into the Beverly Hills Hotel! It is wonderful, my favorite 5 star hotel in California so far...and I've stayed at a few.(I haven't had the luck to stay at the Peninsula yet!).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:27 PM

frankie - I thought your comment about La Jolla being conservative was kind of funny, because I actually felt it to be the opposite. It felt more like the liberal rich, than the conservative rich when we were down there last summer. Imagine Laguna Beach, but with million$ instead of starving artists. lol

Regardless of the politics, I would still go for the Montage over La Valencia. You almost can't compare. La Valencia is historic luxury. Whereas the Montage is modern luxury. So, if you care about an awesome bed and almost 5-star luxury (they're trying really had to get that 5th star) the Montage is where you want to go. You'll have to drive into downtown Main Street Laguna Beach, but it's not bad. Once you're in Laguna Beach on Main street, you'll walk everywhere from there. I agree with all the other LA recommendations mentioned already. I love Beverly Hills - despite living in SoCal, I still feel like I'm a tourist and it's so much fun. And, Santa Monica is awesome, too. Have fun!