Search

Which 2 islands for 2nd Hawaii trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which 2 islands for 2nd Hawaii trip?

Hi everyone,
My husband and I honeymooned this past August in Hawaii (2 nights Oahu, 4 nights BI, 7 nights Maui). We are thinking of returning for our 1st anniversary if we can afford it (If not, we'll head to Mexico or the Caribbean.)

Our first inclination is to return to Maui and the Big Island -- maybe 7 nights on the Big Island and 5 on Maui, but we are not counting out trying Kauai or the North Shore of Oahu yet. We have 12 nights for this trip, and would like to stick to 2 islands.

We were on the go A LOT on our honeymoon, so we want more time to relax this trip. We mainly want to snorkel, lay on the beach, by the pool, and do a bit of exploring (VNP on the BI, snorkeling Molokini on Maui, Na Pali coast on Kauai, horseback riding, etc...) Which 2 islands would you pick for a 2nd trip...and why? Thanks!!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Beachgirl86. We went to Kauai, Maui, BI, Molokai and Oahu on our honeymoon last Sept. And I LOVE Kauai for exactly the type of trip you are wanting this time around. It is so beautiful on the Northshore and lots of good snorkeling in August because the water's not too rough. We liked all of the island for their own special reasons, but for beauty and relazation - Kauai wins - hands down.
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Somehow I recall you were saving Kaua`i for some other future trip, no, also not mentioning any fiscal $) constraints for 2nd trip either
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Nancy: You make Kauai sound wonderful Was it your favorite of the islands you visited?

JohnD: What a great memory you have, we WERE saving Kauai for a future trip! However, my husband and I have recently decided to begin saving for a house, so if we do take this trip to Hawaii this summer, I think the trips for the forseeable future will have to be closer, cheaper, and shorter.

As for budget, we definitely can NOT afford to spend as much as we did this past August. I was thinking of staying in a condo for part of the time, or a cheaper hotel (ie Outrigger Keahou on the BI), then finishing up our last couple of nights at a nice resort (ie Hapuna Prince or Fairmont Orchid on BI).

It's early in our planning, still may have to do Mexico or Caribbean for $$ reasons, but would love to do Hawaii once more before buying a house! Any other suggestions/ideas? THanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Hi Beachgirl86, my vote is for Kauai too..especially since you've spent time on the others. Stayed in Princeville last August and absolutely loved it. There are so many different beaches to choose from, secluded ones or a bit more crowded ones with lots of snorkeling and the whole island is surrounded with natural beauty and wonderful views. Oahu is great too, more variety because of Waikiki, but Oahu's North Shore is a world apart from Waikiki...plenty of surf, sand and quiet for a relaxing time there too. With a condo or vacation rental you could really cut prices down by bbq'ing and cooking yourself. Have fun choosing!
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Since you've already spent a week on Maui I would choose the Big Island and Kaua`i. If you're serious about snorkeling, Kahulu`u Beach Park several steps from the bargain $) Keauhou Beach resort can't be beat in my experience, though the course sandy beach there is limited in size. To fulfill our postcard sandy beach needs we drove from KBR to HP or MK or 69 beaches. A snorkeling boat trip from Keauhou Bay (e.g. FairWindII or SeaQuest) to Capt. Cook memorial exceeded what we experienced with a Molokini snorkel trip.

For August on Kaua`i we recommend condos on the North shore (e.g. Princeville area) with their own beach access and liked Pali Ke Kua and a private 1BR condo in the Hanalei Bay Resort. We still feel the views from the area looking across Hanalei bay to the Bali Hai mountain range comprise one of the most beautiful scenes in Hawaii, and which we still recognize as backdrops in films on Hawaii.

Best wishes for your return to paradise!
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Beachgirl:

I would rank Kauai as my favorite island for beauty & relaxation.

Kauai - 10 beauty, relaxation, quant
Maui - 9.5 dining, activities, beauty
BI - 8.0 snorkeling, spas, volcano
Oahu - 8.0 tourism, shopping, Waikiki, Diamond Head, Northshore scenery
Molokai 7.0 Like Colorado surrounded by ocean. Too isolated for a Hawaii Vacation (unless you want to set by the beautiful seaside and read a book) It was a nice change and a good place to relax a few days before heading to Oahu.

Kauai is what I think of when I think about Hawaii. Lush, Green Jagged mountains...........

My photos from our trip are here>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=r9z6gee...&x=0&y=-cx2qrt
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 07:54 AM
bonniebroad

Beachgirl86, the North Shore of Kauai is fabulous in August. The beauty any time of year is breathtaking, of course. I'd do seven nights Kauai, five nights Big Island or Oahu, probably Oahu, since you've only done two nights there previously. Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide.

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Hi

I too can't recommend Kaui enough. We went to 3 islands in the fall (Maui, Kaui & Oahu) We absolutely loved Kaui as it was very very beautiful and relaxing. The north shore has lots of condos to stay in to save money. Tunnels & Kee Beaches are wonderful too.

Kay
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

THanks everyone for your responses I'm going to watch airfares for a bit, and see if they come down at all for August. It seems like you all recommend Kauai so highly, but it's more expensive to pair that with the Big Island than it is to pair Maui with either the Kauai or the BI. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the fares go! We really want to stick to 2 islands this time, but it's so hard to pick!

Nancy -- Your photos are beautiful, thank you so much! Will you go back to Hawaii?
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Aloha Beachgirl86:
My husband and I love Hawaii, and our two favorite islands are the Big Island and Kauai. Kauai for its beauty, the Big Island for the diversity of scenery. We have gotten very good rates at the Hilton Waikoloa Village ... a bit crowded sometimes with children...but for a luxury hotel it rings in at quite a decent price. On Kauai I will second the suggestion of Hanalei Bay Resort...I don't know the going rate for a 1 bedroom, but if you can afford it try to get one with a view of Hanalei Bay. I don't think I've stayed anywhere else with such a breathtaking view. The Na Pali coast is stunning and in August you shouldn't have to worry about rain.
You can't go wrong with either of these islands, and you might consider just staying on one....saves packing & flying time plus the Aloha or Hawaiian Air tickets.
Instead of contacting Hanalei Bay Resort directly you can get a good rate through the following website: http://www.erahawaii.com/
click on "Find a vacation rental". I've called them a few times, they are very helpful.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 04:24 PM

We thought we got back in 5 years - I don't know if we can stay away that long though.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why don't you stay on Kauai the entire time? That in itself would save money and be more relaxing. Especially since you only have 12 nights, and you've already been to the other 2 islands you're asking about.

Don't count on Mexico being cheaper. I just bagged a trip to Mazatlan in favor of Waikiki because the airfare price and flight schedule is a MUCH better deal.