Search

La Jolla hotels????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Jolla hotels????

If cost was nearly the same which of the following san diego/la jolla hotels would you choose: 1)La Valencia 2)Hotel Parisi 3)L'Auberge 4)Four Seasons Aviara 5) Ritz Carlton-Laguna...... Thank you for your help
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Okay, #5 is no where near La Jolla - it's almost to Laguna Beach.

Will you have kids? I'd skip the boutique hotels.
Do you want to be in town (#1) or out in the middle of nowhere (#4)?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you alice......I know where the ritz carlton laguna is, and I have heard so many good things about it that I considered making the drive. No, my wife and I do not have kids.........I actually reserved a room a La V but I am hearing a lot of bad things... thanks again. I welcome any and all help on this matter.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:50 PM

The Four Seasons Aviara is very nice but you are pretty much limited to the hotel activities (golf, tennis, pool) unless you want to get in the car and drive. Personally, I'd rather be right on the beach or in town. I went to the Four Seasons Aviara as part of a group meeting and don't think I'd choose it again on my own. But it depends on what you want to do.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Depending on what you want, they're all good choices.

I'd avoid Aviara just because it's not close to anything (one advantage, great golf course on site).

La Valencia is a great historic hotel with great views and staff, but the rooms are small and older (unless you can get one of the newer ones).

Parisi is also a good location, better rooms, views, good staff. Very Zen atmosphere - I feel like I have to whisper a lot!

L'Auberge is in Del Mar, recently renovated, more of a resort feel, still has great historical feel (many past stars stayed here during racing season and left their mark at local bars/restaurants), close to horse racing, close to golfing, not sure about a view though.

Ritz is again kind of far out from things. I tend to stay in Laguna Beach if I'm going to bother going to that area. The Surf and Sand is a great hotel in that location, much closer to town.

Old Apr 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM

Just to hammer home a point: The Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel is actually in Dana Point, at least 10 minutes south of Laguna Beach (on Coast Highway) and at least an hour's drive out of San Diego (if not closer to 90 minutes). It is a gorgeous property with the sublime service one expects from a Ritz-Carlton resort-- but it is in Orange County, and not in the SD/La Jolla area by any stretch of imagination. How much time do you want to spend on the freeway between SD and Dana Point, after all?

The Parisi would probably be the best choice for a property in SD County. La Valencia is lovely, but it IS old.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have cancelled my La Valencia reservation and have chosen to opt for Parisi.