Kohala Hotel for ! Night

Search

Kohala Hotel for ! Night

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kohala Hotel for ! Night

We're headed for the big Island in a week.
Thought we might take a 1 night side trip from our Keauhou condo to a beachfront hotel in the Kohala area. I read where the ocean has been quite rough lately on the Big Island. For winter swimming, is there a hotel that might have a calmer beach area..perhaps a lagoon or someplace protected a bit by a reef? And maybe some nice Hawaiian-style entertainment on a Friday night? (Not a luau..thinking more of lounge performance) We are Prince members, so Hapuna or Mauna Kea would be preferred. Willing to consider others, though, since just for one night.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Don't choose the Fairmont Orchid. It is overated & was a horrible choice in August. The staff was nasty & the chipped paint did not reflect the high prices( not to mention the major construction that was going on). Tr anywhere else.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Lucky you. To paradise in one week. . . Our first trip to the BI will be in June. We're staying at the Hapuna and I can honestly say that they have been great to work with over the phone. I can only hope the hotel will live up to the great service I've encountered thus far. I'd say go for the Hapuna or Mauna Kea for one night. From everything I have read, the beaches / ocean in that area are supposed to be wonderful. The Blue Bible states that the Mauna Kea has the best beach / location. They also suggest building 2, having somewhat "newer" and larger rooms. Good luck with your choice.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I decided on Mauna Kea for the beach and old-Hawaii ambiance.
(I haven't told my husband about the tiny TV's.)
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Barbara: Congrats on making the choice. I laughed at your comment about the TV's. That would definately be a sticky issue with my boys too! LOL! PLEASE post a report when you return on the Mauna Kea and if you get a chance, any info on Hapuna. Our first trip to BI is in June, and we are trying so hard not to "wish away" the next six months because we are so excited. We'll be traveling with DS who is 13. I'm very interested in whether the Hapuna will be too "remote" for a tween. Any info will be appreciated. Best wishes for a wonderful trip.