Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Fairmont Orchid vs Hapuna Beach Hotel - Big Island

May 9th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Looking for 5 nights for our 30th Anniversary (not until Feb. but I am an early planner). We have stayed at the Fairmont Orchid before and loved it but also love Hapuna Beach and thought about the hotel there. Can anyone compare the 2 for me. We want this to be special. We are not interested in the Waikoloa on the Big Island - too Disneyland for us and the Four Seasons is WOW expensive but would possible consider it if it is way better than the other 2 and worth the splurge....
May 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM

I just returned on Wed. from an 8 day visit to the Muana Lani. I visited all the Kohala/Kona resorts. Between Orchid and Hapuna I would choose the orchid. I like the setting of Muana Lani better than either of your choices.
May 14th, 2011, 09:07 PM

I don't think Hapuna and the Fairmont are even comparable, the Fairmont wins by a landslide. Hapuna has a nice beach, but the hotel, rooms, and service leave much to be desired, imo.

Have you considered the Mauna Kea? You get a beach that is as good as Hapuna, with a much nicer, newly remodeled hotel and great service.

Four Seasons is fantastic, but if a great beach is important to you, you may be disappointed.
May 18th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the tips. We love the Orchid but will check out the other 2 Mauna Kea and Muana Lani. I lookd at their web sites but not sure if at the Muana Lani, you face the ocean. that is very important to us - Hawaii - ocean view or ocean front.....
May 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM

The orchid I found to be so large of a structure and very set back from the water in most cases. Muana Kea is up on the bluff. Beautiful views but it seemed to me that you are always going up and down. Muana Lani has wonderful direct ocean views but I think that they are very expensive. However the side views are pretty good of the ocean and each has a sitting terrace. No doubt in my mind that the best property is Muana Lani.

One think I dislike about ML is the 60's minimalist architecture.
May 18th, 2011, 08:41 PM

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference...I much prefer the Mauna Kea over the Mauna Lani and think that the beach at the MK is far superior. I would not consider the location of the main part of the hotel as being located on a "bluff," though it is slightly uphill, making for great views, and the entire Plumera wing is on beach level, with a large lawn between the building and the beach. Furthermore, the entire hotel was completely renovated after the earthquake, so is in excellent condition.

I have nothing against the ML. I'm just a beach person and think that the beach at the Mauna Kea is pretty hard to beat.
May 19th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the tips. wbpiii...The Orchid pool and spa sit right on the water as does Brown's Restaurant so I'm not sure what you mean. Guess I will take another look at the Mauna Kea (I think of it as a very old hotel but renovation makes a big difference) and also the Mauna Lani. I do love the beach and must have ocean view. thanks again
May 20th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Shar, sorry if I was unclear. I found the living areas of the Orchid to be large and majority of that space is some distance from the ocean. There are views but at a distance. The pool is in the middle of the complex and nicely sized. The west part of the pool is near the ocean but not the east. True, Brown's is close to the ocean but I eat at Brown's, I don't sleep there.