Hapuna Beach Prince or Fairmont Orchid

Jan 5th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Hapuna Beach Prince or Fairmont Orchid

We are interested in these two hotels on the Big Island. Which do you prefer and why? Thanks.
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:40 PM
alg

We stayed at the HB Prince and loved it. The hotel is very nice, but the kicker is that it is on one of the best stretches of sand in Hawaii.

If you use the search function on this site, you will find lots of info.
Jan 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM

I know this isn't what you asked, but the Mauna Kea is next door to the Hapuna Prince (same company and reciprocal privileges with a shuttle between them) and I absolutely adored it when I was there in September 2004. The MK is very serene with a truly quiet "barefoot elegance", and on a spectacular golden crescent beach with intense turquoise water. I don't know when you're going but I got an ocean front room in September for half off through their website.

I have lots of details about the hotel in my trip report here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623

love
roxy
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:08 PM

We stayed at the Orchid on an awards trip about two years ago. Loved it. Absolutely beautiful. And awesome food. We ate quite a few times at the beach side place and the corner place where they serve a morning brunch/buffet type thing. The food was some of the best I have ever had. The service was lovely.

Also, on same trip, took hubby and friend to Mauna Kea to play golf. I dropped them off and wound up staying for a cup of tea while I gazed at the ocean (looking for whales which I could not find) and then shopped around in the hotel for an hour or so. Loved the place and vowed that if we come back to the BI that I want to stay at the Mauna Kea.

It is hard to describe, but the MK seems to cast a spell on you while you are there. It is like magic. There is something about the place that sucks you in and makes you want to never leave. The archetecture, the coastline, the design of it, very eastern zen kind of thing. I fell for it and gave in. Hope to stay there some day in my future. Some days really.

Roxy, you described it very well in your post. It is very mysterious kind of place, but so amazing. You have to be there to understand its beauty really. Enjoyed your post of the Big Island. Made me want to go back.
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:16 PM

trying to pick which Kohala coast hotel to stay at for a trip this coming summer was like trying to decide which fabulous dessert to order when they all sound so good. we ended up choosing the Fairmont, but i don't think you could go wrong at any of them, really. i cannot wait!!
Jan 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM

This question has been asked a few times, you may want to to a text search

I have stayed at both and prefer the Orchid. In general it is a more opulent hotel. I love the covered canopy beach chairs and the turtles along the shore line. The views of the lava shores with the neighboring islands are amazing. The Orchid also offers Aveda bath products.
Jan 5th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Aveda bath products at the Orchid?! even better!!!!!
Jan 5th, 2005, 06:11 PM

You can book reasonably-priced rooms for Mauna Kea on Hotwire.
Jan 6th, 2005, 01:19 AM

Having stayed at both properties multiple times, I can offer a pocket summary of the differences:

HBP - Has slightly larger/better furnished rooms (except the bathrooms), a *much* better adjacent beach, the property has more of a casual/Hawaiian feel, and at least in our experience, better overall service.

Orchid - Has a better pool, and the rooms have better bathrooms. They charge for extras such as cabana use, snorkeling equipment etc while such things are included at the HBP. Grounds are more formal, and in our opinion less Hawaiian, but very elegant. We've had a few experiences with spotty/indifferent service, which we've never run into at the HBP.

It's almost certain you'll have a wonderful time at either place.

Also, I agree with the posts about the Mauna Kea. If a quiet/relaxing atmosphere is most important, or at least more important than room and amenity quality, the MK is a better choice than either the HBP or Orchid. It doesn't have much of a pool, but it sits adjacent to the best beach on the island.
Jan 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Except for how tiny the toilet/shower room was at the MK, why would you describe the rooms as lesser quality? My room was wonderful, very clean, nice furniture, no kitsch, very cool and calming. I hear that comment sometimes and I've never understood it.

love
roxy
Jan 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM

i have to put a vote in for the orchid.. we were introduced to it 5 years ago when friends just bought us for a drink... we had a reservation to check in that night at the hapuna.. well, we got to the hapuna and realized the orchid was above and beyond.. and cancelled that reservation and were able to stay at the orchid.. we've never looked back since that year... from browns beach house, to the grill, to the pool, to the lovely beach lagoon, to the mai tais, to the spa.. to the amazing rooms-- and we book the least expensive.. the orchid has captivated us... and we are pretty snobby when it comes to travelling! if we want to see hapuna beach..we just drive there for a few hours and enjoy it...then,its back to heaven at the orchid.
aimee
Jan 7th, 2005, 12:59 PM

aimee....can you tell me some more about the Spa Without Walls? it looks so cool! have you booked one of those waterfall huts for a massage? what are the best treatments? thanks!
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Just thought of this. I stopped by the Orchid for a drink in November, and at that time, there was lots of construction (of condos or time shares?) on the south end of the property, by the little lagoon area. It might be something to consider/check into.
Jan 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM

I meant, check into if construction is still going on, cuasing noise, etc---not for staying there!
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Roxy: I didn't mean to imply the Mauna Kea's rooms are substandard. But they are smaller (400 sq. ft. compared to the HBP's 600 sq. ft.) and as mentioned its bathrooms aren't in the same league.

The MK goes for a more traditional Hawaiian vibe as opposed to elegant/luxurious, and its room furnishings reflect that approach. Nothing at all wrong with it IMO. The lanais are fantastic, and as I've said in other threads the MK is one of my favorite places to stay on the Kohala Coast.
Jan 8th, 2005, 06:36 AM

littletwig-- the orchids spa without walls is amazing!! ive done the little huts for massages three times now. last year we did a couples massage next to the ocean. this year.. we are doing a couples massage in the tea huts! a lot of money-- but worth the splurge.. adn the smells of the oils are amazing.

in regards to construction at the orchid.. people have been overreacting about this for years... weve gone ever since it started and barely can tell its going on.. its next door, not at the orchid. just ask for a room in the kohala tower and you wont even be by it... plus, now the construction is moving further down the coast towards the mauna lani.. they are building huge houses and they are pretty much finished around the orchid.

aloha, aimee