COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

If $$$ Were No Object on The Big Island

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

If $$$ Were No Object on The Big Island

If $$$ were no object which would you stay at on The Big Island? The 4 Seasons, The Fairmont Orchid, Hapuna Beach Resort or Mauna Lani Hotel?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer this post, but since no one else has volunteered I'll start off. As a disclaimer: I haven't stayed at any of the hotels you list -- $$$ IS an object -- but I have visited each one.

The Four Seasons is closest to Kona, so if you want to go into Kona a number of times during your vacation this is a good choice. It strikes us as understated, low key and quiet. Pahu I'a, open for breakfast and dinner, is a lovely oceanfront restaurant. On the times we have visited the hotel the pool areas have been exceptionally quiet.

Moving up the road about 10 miles (-- moving away from Kona and away from the airport --) you'll find both the Fairmont and Mauna Lani. We spend a lot of our vacation time at the Fairmont and would probably pick it as the choice amongst the four you listed. Excellent food at Brown's Beach house, a deli/mart and a beach bar all close to the ocean. Brown's is our favorite place for dinner. The pool is nice and there is plenty of oceanfront area for sunbathing or for taking a pool chair into the shade for reading or just watching the ocean. The beach looks very nice, lots of people swimming, boogie boarding, snorkeling. Lots of turtles in the water here and a fair number come up to snooze on the rocks.

The MLB right next door is also nice. Pleasant open air lobby, has a gracious feel to it. Very good breakfast buffet (my husband likes this one best, I prefer 4S). Smaller pool than Fairmont. Nice oceanfront but not as much shade as Fairmont (we must be the only people who go to Hawaii and sit in the shade!). Canoe House restaurant is very good, very expensive (oops, forgot, $$$ no object), but our preference is Brown's.

Further up the road is the Hapuna Prince and the Mauna Kea Beach, I think each hotel is part of the Hapuna Beach Resort but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. We haven't liked the Hapuna Prince, just don't like the feel of it, but having said that the beach is outstanding. The Mauna Kea Beach hotel is on a lovely site, but again, not our choice.

As you continue driving north towards Kameula/Waimea you will find the island's best restaurant -- Merriman's. If you intend to go there for dinners then the 4 Seasons is furthest away. Depends how you feel about driving.

Perhaps if you give your preferences -- beach vs pool, dining on site or adventuring out, having your every desire catered to, room size, things like that you might help people who have been at the hotels give you good advice.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM

We have stayed at the Fairmont Orchid and loved it. Very nice hotel. Very quiet, luxurious, right on the ocean. Great food. Some of the best food ever. Their buffets are awesome. Everything we ate was top notch. Rooms are large and very pleasant, with balconies. We loved it.

Mauna Kea is beautiful too. Haven't stayed here but sure would like to.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:54 PM
bat

which has the best swimming beach?
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 02:55 PM

The Hapuna Beach Resort has the best swimming beach.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:04 PM

Topping
Starting to plan our
dream trip for 2007 ~~ !!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM

We absolutely loved the Orchid. The beach is private, quiet, and the snorkeling right in front of the hotel is amazing! We saw turtles every day!

We went to Hapuna Beach one afternoon because we heard so much about it. It was really nice and had tiny waves (July), but it was also really crowded. We had fantastic fish tacos at Senor Frogs, but were very happy to return to the quiet, serene Orchid.

I have heard wonderful things about the Four Seasons from friends, but have not been there. We walked around the Mauna Lani and it really didn't seem to be as lovely as the Orchid.

Hope this helps.
Have fun planning!
Dina