COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:20 AM
laurie

Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel

Has anyone recently stayed here? Hubby has a chance to go on a cont. education program Feb. 12-19 and this is the place it's held. We were actually thinking of going around that time with our two boys, 12 & 10, but were looking at Kona Coffee Country Vacation Studios. We would love to site see, whale watch, and snorkel. Any ideas would be welcome.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:41 AM
mark

My girlfriend and I walked the beach and had dinner at the Hapuna Princess in late May. It is a lovely property with a beautiful long sandy beach.

However, we stayed at the Mauna Lani Resort and Bungalows and thought it was fabulous. We visited numerous other hotels as well but would go back to the Mauna Lani in a heartbeat.

If you are taking two children, I would check into what activities are offered for them at hotels you are condsidering. From the research I had done prior to our trip and from what we saw, the Hilton on the Big Island would be a good place for families. The beach isn't great but the swimming pool complex is unbelievle.

However, with two children, you may want a condo with a kitchen so you don't have the cost of eating out all of the time. Food is expensive on Hawaii.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Hans

One of the best beaches in the state; the best is right next door.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:59 AM
tmn

My husband and I stayed at Hapuna Beach and it was wonderful - very romantic, etc...however, I don't know if I would recommend bringing kids - they may be kind of bored unless you plan on entertaining them away from the hotel. The Big Island itself is like landing on the moon - very quiet. The state park with the volcanos is fabulous, but after that it gets kind of redundant - I would recommend looking into some day flights to some of the other islands while you are there

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:01 PM
surferjoe

Check out the website princeresortshawaii.com for 360 degree shots of the hotel and grounds. I grew up ont the Big Island and love Hapuna Beach. I originally oppossed the idea of the hotel on that beach but have since stayed there several times and really enjoy it there. You also have priveleges at sister hotel Mauna Kea Beach. Mauna Lani, Hilton, The Orchid, etc, are all nice properties but none of them has a beach like Hapuna or Mauna Kea.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Frank

As nice as the beach truly is at the Hapuna Prince, the surf does get very rough in the "winter". I was there a few years ago in December and it was already not safe for swimming. That said, the hotel is large, quiet, not terribly "touristy", and well located as a base for driving to the north kohala mountains and around to the lush and beautiful waip'io valley and down the coast toward Hilo. You will not be disappointed with the quality of the rooms or common areas and the pool is traditional and nice, although not a disney-like experience as is the case at the Hilton. In short, I'd recommend staying there if your husband can get a good rate with the continuing education program. Although I'm not familiar with the Kona Coffee Country Vacation Studios, it may likely be located in Kona which is a goood half hour or more drive further south...making daytrips to the scenic north and around to the lush other side of the island a longer haul.