Search

Big Island resorts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:01 PM
Frank Stefanec

Big Island resorts

Hi,
We've visited Kaanapali and loved it. We're doing Wailea this fall. We want to see the Big Island next summer for an anniversary trip. I'm looking for some resort recommendations around the Kohala Coast. I'm looking for great pool and beach facilities primarily.
Thanks.
Frank

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:53 PM
annemarie

then you would want to check out the Hilton Waikoloa Village..my son still says that it was the best hotel he had ever stayed at as a child, bar none. Now the Four Seasons was not ready when we were there..I don't know how it would compare as a family destination?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:03 PM
Rick

The Hilton is fantastic, however there is no true beach to speak of. Mostly coral. They do have a nice beach around the lagoon but nothing to compare with the beach at Kaanapali. Still I'd recommend it.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:43 PM
Brenda

The beach in front of the Mauna Kea is one of the best on the Big Island.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:46 PM
Kehau

Dear Frank:
My favorite Big Island resorts are:
1. Four Seasons Hualalai (great saltwater pool with fish)
2. Maunalani Bay Hotel & Bungalows
3. The Orchid at Maunalani
4. Mauna Kea Beach Hotel
Hope your anniversary trip is wonderful,
Aloha,
Kehau

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:00 AM
linda

I wouldn't recommend the Hilton for a honeymoon if you are a beach person. The pool is amazing and I would take my kids, but not without them. My vote is Mauna Kea, and have a sunset dinner at the Canoe Club at the Mauna Lani! Whereever, you will love the BI!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:04 AM
linda

I meant anniversary in your case. I should mention the pool at the Mauna Kea is very plain. With the spectacular beach, I never even considered visiting the pool (nor did my kids, who had previously preferred pools!!), but if you're a pool person, something to consider....

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:30 AM
Deb

Although the beach is rocky at the hIlton Waikoloa, I actually found it VERY romantic watching the waves crash against the rocks during the day, and also at night when it was dark and you could just hear the surf pounding. AHHHHHHHHHH. They have those covered cabanas out at what they call Buddha Point, as well as double hammocks. PERFECT for watching the sunset, and then snuggling up and listening to the waves and surf. The HIlton then has the benefits of the great pools. Also, a five minute walk along a trail gets you to the beach at Waikoloa Outrigger, which is a very pretty beach with some decent, not great snorkeling.