Reload this Page >

Frontera Grill - Chicago

Search

Frontera Grill - Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:12 PM
Susie

Frontera Grill - Chicago

Going to Chicago this coming week-end and would love to have dinner at Frontera Grill Saturday night. Does any one know aproximately how long we will have to wait? There will be 4 of us arriving around 8:30 PM.

Thanks for any information!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:20 PM
RacyT

Susie:

People are already lined up outside when the place opens at 5, and a seat in the bar can be hard to come by after 5:30.

You might want to call ahead to see what the wait is. It may be up to 2 hours. Another option would be Chilipachango (sp?) that is run by Rick Bayless' former sous chef and is also in River North (although further north and west).

If you have more than 2 margaritas while waiting, you may want to skip the meal, because you'll hardly remember it. The margaritas are fabulous, but potent!

HTH,
Racy

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:21 PM
Pat

Susie: Does it have to be Frontera Grill? Why not give Adobo a try - it's right next door to Second City and they take reservations. It is excellent! Order straight up margaritas and guacamole prepared at your table.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:24 PM
Chris

Susie,
It will be at least an hour if you're lucky. There are two other restaurants that we've discovered that are actually better than Frontera but the wait is just as long.
We love Adobo Grill on Wells Street in Old Town. It's next to Second City and the food and atmosphere are fabulous.
Also there is a place called Salpicon which is also on Wells Street. I thought it was a little better than Frontera and evidently it gets rave reviews from food critics.
I have been to Frontera at least 20 times and I would recommend Adobo or Salpicon for food quality, service and atmosphere over Frontera Grill. Good luck.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:26 PM
alex

I was also going to suggest Salpicon. I think it is slightly more expensive than Frontera but it is excellent.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

Salpicon and Frontera are both great. Another option is to try to get a reservation at Topolobompo (Frontera's dressier half). I doubt there is availability this late, but you could try. Salpicon is more of a local favorite so you could probably get a reservation there as most people reserve it a day or two in advance.

Regarding Topolobompo, I prefer the menu served at Frontera (and it's less expensive). We tend to hit Frontera for lunch and be there when it opens.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:32 PM
Huggy

Ladies-

Let's not turn this TRAVEL board into the chatty Cathy food critics column.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:40 PM
beatit

When eating out of town I would consider that a travel question. In case you haven't noticed, about half the questions on this board are for restaurant recommendations when on vacation.

what's next, no hotel recommendations either. let's narrow the questions down to specific travel between point A and B.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:42 PM
are you

Hey Huggy

Take a chill pill. For most of us TRAVELING includes dining out.

Or are you just trying to stir up trouble?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:44 PM
rsj

I never eat when I'm on vacation. Too busy saving pennies and finding the next Rick Steves "must do" sight ;-)

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 01:49 PM
Susie

Huggy,
For me, good restaurant recommendations are as important as where I go and where I stay when I TRAVEL! I appreciate all the great restaurant suggestions from everyone else!

Susie

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:05 PM
Susan

The wait will be at least 2 hrs on a Sat nite for Frontera Grill, but it is worth it! The other restaurants suggested might be worth it, but then you can't say you dined at Frontera Grill.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
OhNo

Susan -

PLEASE tell me you're being facetious about "telling everyone".

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:44 PM
Brian

Susan,
The name recognition is overblown on Frontera Grill especially when it doesn't live up to it.
I agree with Chris and Alex about Adobo and Salpicon. I live in the city and would go to Adobo or Salpicon over Frontera Grill anyday.
Rick Bayless needs to concentrate on his establishments instead of his cooking show.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:09 AM
xxx

have to agree - the food is definitely NOT worth the wait. And their sangria - what is that? Not sangira as I know it.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:40 AM
xxx

sangria alert - Cafe Ba Ba Reeba has great sangria. The tapas they serve are somewhat Americanized as compared to Cafe Iberico which is more authentic (personally, I prefer the more Americanized tapas).