Reload this Page >

MKs or Kiki's Bistron in Chicago?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Cheryl

Going to Chicago next week and trying to decide on restaurants in downtown area ... so far planning on Gibson's Steakhouse, Brasserie Jo's, and Frontera Grill. Have narrowed down for one more night to Kiki's Bistro or MKs. Can anyone recommend one over another. FYI - Don't want to go anywhere where jackets/tie required ... more of a "smart casual" dress. Thanks.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Carmella

I wouldn't bother with Gibson's. I thought it was very overrated. My favorite steakhouse is Morton's. Weber Grill just opened a new restaurant downtown, too. Be prepared to have a long wait at Frontera unless you go early. But it is very good and so is Brasserie Jo. Unfortunately, I haven't been to the resaurants you inquired about. You might want to try Nine. It is very good and I liked the atmosphere.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 08:45 AM
alex

I think the steaks at Morton's are better but the desserts at Gibson's are better (I am not a big red meat eater but a huge dessert lover so you can guess where my bias lies!). MK is really good. The space is very attractive and the food is excellent. It can occasionally be difficult to get a cab at MK after your meal so you might want to have the restaurant call one for you. I have not been to Kiki's so I cannot compare.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Cheryl

Anyone else have recommendations?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:12 AM
xxx

MK is a great choice, you may want to also try NAHA.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Carmella

Alex, have you had the Chocolate Souffle at Morton's. It is wonderful. It takes awhile to make so you need to order it when you order dinner.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 05:36 AM
alex

I've had the Godiva cake and the Key Lime pie at Morton's. They were both delicious. I will have to try the souffle the next time. But, I just love that Gibson's carrot cake!!! It is the only dessert I have ever liked more than chocolate!

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:39 AM
kal

Alex'girl,
OK ALREADY! Stop it with the Gibson carrot cake!
Yer killin' me!!! I NEED it right now...for breakfast...with A Fire Rock! No wait...An Old Style! I'm sooo confused...low blood sugar!
63 more days!
;^D

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Ang

UMMMMMM! I also adore Gibson's Carrot Cake! Okay you guys are going to think this is sacrelig but I can't stand anything chocolate! It just isn't sweet to me and tastes bitter. Having said that I guess you know I like the REALLY sweet things, things most others can't eat because they are "too rich" or "too sweet" (is there such a thing?) Any way, my favorite dessert in Chicago is at the Cheesecake factory. I know its a chain but I can't resist the Southern Pecan Cheesecake. It is a very large, very rich piece of cheesecake withe a supersweet piece of pecan pie baked on top of it and rich gooey sauce dribbled over the top. Now that will satisfy any sweet tooth!

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 07:48 PM
jimmy

MK for sure

Old Jul 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
foodie

MK's great. Kiki's is not even in the same league. Also, Salpicon is similar to Frontera and takes reservations (as does Topolobampo, the "nice" half of Frontera). My preference is Salpicon for dinner, Frontera for lunch (go early to avoid the long wait). Not a big fan of Topolobampo.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Cheryl

Decided on MK and had a great dinner ... loved the atmosphere (upscale casual, but not pretentious). Didn't have a problems getting a cab after dinner either .... would definitely recommend. We also had great dinners at Brasserie Jo, Wildfire, Gibson's Steakhouse, Frontera Grill, and Bin 36. Went to Frontera Grill about 9:00 p.m. (weeknight) and got a table right away.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Cheryl2

Cheryl,

What kind of food/atmosphere at Bin 36?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Cheryl

Bin 36 has a continental menu with great food .... the atmosphere was a modern upscale casual (but not pretentious trendy), ... we really liked it. It's actually connected to the House of Blues hotel.