Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One free day in LA--Disneyland or Universal Studios?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Neil

We've just decided to attend a family wedding in Los Angeles in August. Most of our time will be spent at wedding related events, but we will have one free day (a Friday) to take our 12 and 9 year old daughters to one of the theme parks. My wife and I have done the Disney thing before, but the girls have not. We also hate to stand in lines. Would you suggest Universal Studios or Disneyland for the day? By the way, our girls are pretty sophisticated.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxx

If you girls have never been to Disneyland, then that is definitely the park to attend for the day. What parent can deny their child an opportunity to experience "the happiest place on earth"?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:20 AM
xx

If your daughters are sophisticated they wouldn't want to do a theme park, they'd want to do the Getty. Take them there instead or admit that your daughters are just like everyone else's.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Tom

I seriously doubt that there are many kids that would choose the Getty over Disneyland. Disneyland would get my vote for a family outing.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Neil

To xx:
We are taking our daughters to the Getty, but that was not the point of my post. Its amazing that you can't ask a question on this site anymore without getting a snotty answer from someone who is afraid to even list their name.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Ncow

Another option that I would suggest if your daugthers are into great rides is Six Flags. The rides are much better than the ones at Disneyland or Universal

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Cat

Neil:
I have been to both with my 13 year old niece. We both agree that your day should be spent in Universal. We also enjoyed Knott's Berry Farm. Enjoy!

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Alisa

My vote is for Disneyland. Universal is ho hum, the rides are not very exciting and if the lines are long, there is nothing ot look at. Skip it, especially if your daughters have not been to Disneyland.

Forget Six Flags. The rides may be thrilling but the entire park is filthy. In August, the lines will be hours and there is nothing much to see. I hate that place--seems to be run by a bunch of teenagers.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Merilee

Hi Neil...I vote for Universal because you have great rides, shows, and good dining options at City Walk.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:13 AM
Jen

Forget Six Flags--filled with gang-banger wanna-bees all summer.

The rides at Universal are few and far between. The shows are amateur, the rides are a pale imitation of Disneyland.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:36 AM
xx

Calm down Neil. What is the point of describing a 9 and 12 yo as sophisticated when asking for theme park recommendations? It's not like you need to be sophisticated to go to Universal or Disneyland. They are both kid places. Just another way for you to set your kids apart from the masses of humanity at these places?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Alex

Why are people so nasty? Why so negative. I think that Neil was simply saying that his kids have had the wonderful opportunity to travel a bit, see some theater and shows. Give the guy a break.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 12:57 PM
S

Disneyland is a must for kids of any age. Universal is ok, but can get pretty hot standing there in long lines during the summer months.

And I'd also advise against Six Flags. Magic Mountain does seem to attract the gangs and older kids.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:07 PM
xx

It's interesting that so many years after I moved away from So Cal that the same thing is still going on at Magic Mountain. It was like that shortly after opening and it looks like it hasn't changed.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Sara

Disneyland - but be prepared to get lost in the magic.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 01:19 PM
xxx

i'd vote for disneyland. they have some sort of system now that you can sign up for the major rides at a certain time so that you aren't standing in so many lines.
neil, i have to admit that i chuckled when you stated "our girls are pretty sophisticated". now that statement made you sound snotty. what the heck does sophisticated and the choice between two theme parks have to do with anything?

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 08:54 PM
mina

I work for a division of Universal, so for a dept. outing, we did the VIP tour (guide for a day, no waiting in line, the best seats. We got a company discount). While it was fun, I would think without this expensive tour, Universal wouldn't be as worth it. There can be very long lines for some rides which I think are so-so (one was downright lame). The Terminator show is pretty good, and pretty darn "sophisticated" (since everyone here seems to be focused on that word).

I'm sure the lines at Disney will be atrocious that time of year as well. But I think the a lot of the rides are more fun (however, it's been awhile since I've been there, so who knows). As August can be hot, Disney has better water rides. (Forget Magic Mountain altogether...in August you WILL be miserable.) And you know...Disney has the greatest people watching on earth.

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 11:27 PM
ME

Don't deny your girls the disney thing... you're only a kid once. I've been there at least 20 times, and I become a kid everytime I go there. Has become over-priced but it's clean and the rides are great.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
slcmama

Go to Disneyland. It is a must-have experience so don't wait any longer. Use Fastpasses (for later admissions with no waiting) wisely for the major don't miss rides--Space Mountain, Indiana Jones--and you won't have the lines. Get there when it opens at 8 and head for the Matterhorn which doesn't have a Fastpass. Everyone still loves even silly things like Honey I shrunk the audience, because they are a giggle. They should like the elecrical parade at California Adventure when it gets dark, and the fireworks at Disneyland are always great. California Adventure has some cool interactive behind the scenes stuff on how animation and voiceovers are done. The overall experience at Disney is magical and remember that you don't have to do everything--buy a guide in advance and let the girls choose. Universal is fine, less crowded, Jurassic ride is good, but just not as magical somehow. The tour is overly long and not that great.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 10:51 AM
Faina

What I don't understand - why can't the girls make this choice? My children, when they were this age, were capable of telling me where THEY want to go. Few minutes of computer search would help. Without any sophistication.