The Big Island

Feb 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

The Big Island

I need help. My family wants to go to the Big Island of Hawaii in December and I'm in charge. It will be 7 adults and 2 toddlers. Should we stay in a hotel, a house, a condo? The beach would have to be within walking distance and smooth for the toddlers. Also, we are not rich but don't want to skimp either since this is a once in a lifetime get together. Any ideas? Thanks!
Feb 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM

First, do a search here as ther are a LOT of posts about the Big Island.

There are not many beaches on the Big Island, but all of them are public. They all have a few rocks, but most have smooth areas. If you want the beach within walking distance, you will have to stay at one of about 3 hotels. Personally, with young children and that many adults, I'd see about renting a house or two condos, but with the beach restriction, that will limit your choices. If sandy beaches are a priority, you might consider another island.
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Oh, no... Don't give up on the Big Island. Some thoughts:
Mauna Kea and Hapuna Beach Prince Resorts have lovely sandy beaches.
The Fairmont Orchid has a beautiful manmade beach which is somewhat protected and calm.
The Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort is very affordable and is over some really cool tidepools and right next to a great snorkeling beach (although not a sandy one).

Others may have suggestions; but for accommodations right on a beach, one of the Kohala resorts would best fit the bill.

In line with ChristieP's comment, on Maui there are a lot more beachfront condominium choices.
Feb 19th, 2006, 06:55 PM

The Fairmont Orchid is a lovely property with a gorgeous sandy lagoon, great for snorkeling or just relaxing by the water. Sea turtles frequently swim into the lagoon and swim onto the beach at night. The atmosphere is very relaxing and romantic for adults but the lagoon is a great spot for kids too. The only downside is the price of food but the resort is close enough to Kona to have alternatives. My experience with the service was great and I wouldn't even consider staying anywhere else on the Big Island. Some people like the Hilton but it is a bit too Disney World-ish for me.
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:10 PM

We have stayed at Hapuna Beach Prince Resort and Marriott Waikoloa Beach Resort. Both are on the Kohala coast. Hapuna beach is absolutely beautiful with great snorkeling right onsite. It is a quiet, lovely, peaceful hotel. We have gotten it for as low as $185/night on Hotwire.

The Marriott is on A-Bay, which is also nice, but I prefer Hapuna. This hotel is being renovated now, and is a bit busier with more kids. I have seen people on Priceline getting it for as low as $100/night.

Have fun and happy planning!
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Why have you selected the Big Island?
It really does not offer many options matching your desire of "beach within walking distance and smooth for toddlers". The only beaches of this description are in the Kohala resort area, where the only beachfront accommodations are large hotels that are among the most expensive in all Hawaii. I am not trashing the Big Island...in fact, I enjoyed a nice vacation there just last month. You just need to understand the topography so you won't be disappointed when your expectations aren't met by your island of choice. The island with the widest range of condos and hotels on great swimming beaches is Maui. That's the one I choose when traveling with kids, or when I want a big dose of sand and sea water myself!
Feb 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Hapuna Prince and Mauna Kea offer a "second room half price" rate sometimes. They are sister hotels right next to each other. Both have their own fantastic beach. Mauna Kea is older but very charming, and Hapuna is my favorite hotel on the Big Island, the beach and the warm pool are so close to each other, its a great place for everyone to relax, and you can have lunch at the pool. They're by no means cheap, but if you can get that rate, I highly recommend them. Hapuna has a great breakfast buffet overlooking the ocean thats terrific. You might want to take the toddlers over to the Hilton Waikaloa to see the dolphins, etc.
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info! My husband and I have already been to Maui and Oahu and were disappointed by how "cityish" they have become. We went to the Big Island for a few days, and would have loved to have stayed there longer. I think that for other family, this would be the best island and the Hapuna resort sounds great if we could get it at the low price! Thanks again!