Big Island Honeymoon

Search

Big Island Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island Honeymoon

Any suggestions on hotels for my honeymoon in late September on the Big Island? I was looking at The Orchid, Mauna Lani Hotel and Bungalows or the Hapuna Prince. We like to relax by the beach/pool, play golf and visit the spa.
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Which ever way you go it's win-win. While I believe most would agree the Orchid or Mauna Lani is a slightly (ever so-slight) better hotel, the Hapuna Prince has by far the better beach. As for Golf, the Mauna Lani is better (IMHO) than Hapuna but not better than Hapuna's sister property (which you have access to) the Mauna Kea. In fact Trent Jones SR., who designed the course, rated it in his top 4 of all time. While I believe you can probably tell that I favor the Hapuna Prince, they are all truly beautiful properties. Enjoy!
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Thanks Pumpy for the two cents-my husband and I are planning a first time visit to the Big Island sometime in Jan. or Feb 2004 and are looking at staying at the Hapuna Beach resort. Your comments are among many very positive comments I have read about this hotel. I like that it is on the most beautiful beach (or so they say) and you can use the amenities at the Mauna Kea Beach hotel as well.We were going to go back to Maui (stayed at the Ritz Carlton last year) but we are so intriged about the BI that we just have to go. We are like Kori-all we need is a beautiful beach (or two), sunning and cocktails by the pool and lots of relaxation and some sightseeing.Correct me if I am wrong, but the BI sounds perfect for that get away from it all vacation. Are there lots of great dining choices along the Kohala coast?? I would love to hear more feedback from those who have been to the BI. Thanks!!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:31 PM

I've stayed at the Mauna Lani twice and it is sheer paradise. It has everything you are looking for and then some. The Orchid is next door and its beach did not look quite as nice as the Mauna Lani's to me. The food is good at both resorts and it is easy to walk or drive back and forth and eat at both. The best part of the Mauna Lani is watching the sun set over the beach. Perfection.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:12 PM

There are a number of places to eat but most of the better restaurants are located within one of the hotels (Hapuna, Mauna Kea, Mani Lani, etc.). While the food is very good at number of these restaurants, they are also very pricey (if it matters). However, it is a nice way to get away from your resort and visit one of the other properties. On a slightly different note, I would highly recommend a "Fairwinds Cruise" out of Kona to Keakakua Bay (where Capt. Cook was killed). They offer Breakfast, brunch and even dinner cruises I believe. However, if for no other reason, go for the snorkeling and swimming (scuba and snuba also available). We took the afternoon cruise which only offered drinks (cash bar) and puu puu's (appetizers). My daughter enjoyed this much more than the "swim with dolphin" experience at the Waikaloa. Not only is a great boat ride and swim/snorkel excursion (approx 3 hrs) the cost was only $35 per adult. PS: The boat has diving platform and water slide - very fun time!!
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:16 PM

Pumpy, the Fairwinds cruises sound great-read about them in a travel book. Does it matter that we have never snorkelled before?? That's right folks, been to Hawaii three times and have never snorkelled!!! We were going to make reservations for Dolphin Quest at the Hilton-why didn't you like it?? Also can you do Volcanoes National Park in a few days without staying in the park? We don't mind the long drive as i'm sure the drive to get there is beautiful and scenic! Cost for dining doesn't really matter-I would like to try different restaurants in some of the resorts besides where we will be staying (Four Seasons, The Orchid, Roy's etc).I am so excited even though we won't be going for 8 months-the BI sounds like paradise!!!!
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:10 AM

We took the FAIRWINDS II out of Keahou (Kona area) takes you to snorkel near the Captain Cook Memorial Monument where the water was very clear and we saw amazing fish and reef activity. The staff gives everyone a presentation on how to snorkel and provides equipment. One can also pay extra to do the SNUBA diving. For those not comfortable with snorkeling or SNUBA, the Fairwinds crew provided an underwater viewer, somewhat like underwater binoculars, which people would use while floating in an innertube. There also was a video made by a professional onboard who videotaped all on deck, then went underwater at the snorkel site and captured highlights that my wife and I missed while snorkeling on our own (video costs extra). The Fairwinds trip to the site is short over calm seas, and the water clarity is among the best that I have seen-permitting great underwater pictures, and we saw things we had not seen anywhere else (e.g., octopus, a cleaner (fish) wrasse station in action, large Moorfish.) Suggest you reserve well in advance for the Fairwinds II.
Hilton Waikoloa on the Kohala coast has many restaurants and activities to choose from and is also worth a visit.
We skipped the helicopter tour and instead drove to the Volcano national park by car through Hilo, rather than Kona in March 2003. The Hilo route has scenic turn off side roads and you can also drive to some waterfalls along the way and we personally did not find the drive to be too long. In the park you should check in with the rangers welcome center for 5 minutes to ask about the conditions on chain of craters road, and last week it was OK to drive within about a half hour walk to the oozing lava flow-the highlight of our visit. Try to arrive at the flow between 5-6PM to see it as it gets dark, and flashlights and bottled water are helpfull as the walk is somewhat tricky (but not dangerous) and it gets hot there. You can tour the park totally at your own pace in your own car and hit most of the highlights in a day or two. I also recommend stopping at the Thurston Lava Tube.
Enjoy your trip!
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:42 AM
kmg

We stayed at Mauna Lani in Oct 2002 for our honeymoon. We loved it. Their breakfast buffet was among the best we have had. Their pool area was nice, but we spend most time at the beach (swimmable) since there was no extra charge for the covered cabanas. They upgraded us from mountain view to ocean view overlooking the fish ponds. Most of the rooms there are oceanview due to the layout of the building. The rooms and bathrooms are large and the bathroom amenities were Aveda products.
Old May 28th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. I've heard nothing but good things about the Mauna Lani and the Hapuna Prince. It will be a tough decision, but I'm sure I'll have a great honeymoon experience at either hotel
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Sorry, I have to toss my two cents in. There are few hotel beaches in the world better than the beach at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel. There are also few golf courses better. Though I haven't stayed at the Mauna Kea for some time (stayed at the Mauna Lani a couple of years ago), I know they have refurbished and upgraded their rooms.

So, if you're looking the best beach, MKB may be your place.

Ken
Old May 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM

Have a great honeymoon Kori-if you would be so kind to post a report about how the hotel, dining etc were that would be great to those of us going later in winter!! Thanks!! Aloha!!