Reload this Page >

Hapuna Prince or Fairmont Orchid-big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:16 PM
charlotte

My husband and I are planning a hawaiian holiday this year-we went to Maui in Dec,2002 and had a fabulous time(we stayed at the Ritz).We were going to go back to Maui again, however, the Big Island also looks beautiful. We are in our early thirties, have no kids and we want a quiet, luxurious holiday at a great resort with a fabulous beach and all the amenities. The Hapuna Beach Resort looks amazing (that beach looks heavenly) and the Fairmont Orchid also looks amazing.I see that Fairmont just took the Orchid over so I am curious if anyone has stayed there recently.If anyone out there has some advice on the Big Island, it would be greatly appreciated. We wouldn't be going until late this year (Oct-Dec).Thanks!!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
Natalie

Hi Charlotte, I've stayed at both. Your bio sounds like us! Anyways, if you are a beach person the Hapuna is the better choice. However, the scenery and hotel quality is better at the Orchid. The Orchid has covered canopies (lawn chairs) along the shore line. Beautiful black lava shoreline with turtles. Scenery is much better. Very good whale watching just off shore. I liked the Orchid much better but if you're an ocean swimming person you may like the Hapuna better. Also, the Hapuna felt a little "cold" and the food wasn't too great. The Orchid was more cozy.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM
dcp

Have been to both but only stayed at the Hapuna Prince. While I know both are very nice and technically the Orchid is probably considered a slight bit better, I prefer the HP. The reason being is the beach. The Orchid does not really have one to speak of and Hapuna Beach is probably the best on the island. FYI- I've whale watched from Hapuna Beach if that matters. Enjoy (either one is a great choice)!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:16 PM
Bill

Only stayed at the Orchid, but found it to be a bit stuffy and pricey. I don't really understand their landscaping concept. There's a huge hedge on the shoreline which blocks out the view of the water at beach level (at least when I stayed a few years ago).

It used to be a Ritz-Carlton so I think it's meant to give one a secluded feel away from the riff-raff and paparazzi.

There is a lovely sunset bar with a great view.

You'll love the Big Island no matter what! Pick yourself up a copy of "The Big Island Revealed" ASAP.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 07:46 PM
Charlotte

Thank you very much for the helpful advice!! I know I can't go wrong at either resort-Hapuna Beach looks so beautiful and I have read that it is one of the world's best beaches so I think it might be the Hapuna Beach for us!! Or I might split up the stay between the 2 resorts so I can experience both!! Just one more question-is the weather on the Kohala coast pretty sunny and dry yearround??

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
Bill

The Kona side is generally dry most of the time, though I have run into the occassional shower (short lived) now and again. If you venture over to the Hilo side of the island, you'll notice it's much wetter.