Mother/daughter to the Big Island

Feb 9th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Mother/daughter to the Big Island

We (Mom and 25 yr old daughter) will be traveling together to stay at Hilton Waikoloa Village for 5 nights. We are looking to stay an additional 2 nights somewhere else before we leave from Kona airport. Any suggestions on which part of the island would be a good place for our last two nights? We are taking a late night flight back to LAX. Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions on things to do and which areas might have night life, shopping, etc. Thanks.
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:25 PM

What fun...a Mother/Daughter vacation! I went to the Big Island 2 summers ago with my husband & 2 daughters (then 8 & 6). We stayed up the road at the Hapuna Beach Prince. Right at your hotel is Dolphin Quest where you can swim with the dolphins, a unique & amazing experience. There is also a "shopping area/outdoor mall" right outside your hotel. There is a Roy's there which is great for dinner, but make a reservation in advance. Be sure to drive to Waimea, home of many fine restaurants & the best breakfast! ( I think it was at the Hawaiian Style Cafe.)Also had very good dinners at Daniel Thiebaut & Merriman's. Quick highlights:

1.donkey wagon ride in Waipi'o Valley
2.hiking by flashlight to see the lava flow
3. walking thru Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens
4. visiting any beach!

The best advice I can give you is buy a copy of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed, & have a great time!
Feb 9th, 2005, 04:28 PM

I'd recommend staying somewhere on the Hilo side, or in Volcano Village. Personally, I recommend the Country Goose B&B, and others here like the Kilauea Lodge.

Do a search on the site here and you will find lots of info on activities and shopping! (I did a detailed trip report post in July.)

Unfortunately, there is very little nightlife on the Big Island. I guess it is because so many people come from the mainland and the time difference makes them go to sleep early!
Feb 10th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have a suggestion of which area to stay in for our last two nights? (First 5 nights at Hilton Waikaloa in Kona area.) Thanks!
Feb 12th, 2005, 08:38 AM

My husband and two daughters (21 & 24) were just on the BI in December and we stayed at the Kanaloa at Kona. We loved the ocean view condo and it was just about six minutes into Kona. You can't swim from the beach there, but you can watch the whales. We snorkeled and saw great turtles and fish at Kahaluu (sp) Beach, which is about 1 mile from the Kanaloa. Also went snorkeling with Dolphin Discoveries and found ourselves swimming with a whole bunch of dolphins. Dolphin Discoveries docks about 3 blocks from the Kanaloa. The girls really like wandering around Kona. Huggo's has fabulous food- a little expensive but a real treat right on the water. They have live music after 9 at Huggo's on the Water- a bar next door to the restaurant. There's a bar/restaurant right across the street that we enjoyed, too- I think it was called Lula's. There was also a farmer's market in Kona, with lots of local crafts. We've stayed at the Waikoloa with the girls, too, and we all enjoyed it- the atmosphere is different around the Kona area. Not as resorty- more laid back. Sounds to me as if you're going to have a great vacation.