Kauai Snorkeling

Jan 9th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Kauai Snorkeling

Where are the best spots to snorkel in Kauai? We will be there for 10 days at the end of February, and we are bringing our own equipment. Thanks
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Lucky you! I was in Kauai in July '08 and snorkeled on 3 different occasions. The first two were on the north shore: right off the Princeville Hotel Beach (may be closed right now since it's reopening as a St. Regis)and Kee Beach State Park. Saw lots of fish at both places. Then we stayed on the south side and went to Poipu Beach Park-again saw some beautiful fish. Water temp wasn't too bad. I've also snorkeled at Molokini Crater in December which required a wet suit. We had our own masks and snorkels but rented flippers from Snorkel Bobl's in Hanalei. Have fun!
Jan 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Please don't try to snorkel the north shore beaches in February, with the exception of maybe Anini, they will be too wild and way too dangerous. In the winter the surf is usually raging and the currents are dangerous. It is a different story in the summer. Your best bets for February will be around Poipu or maybe Salt Pond Beach. Some folks like Lydgate Park, but we found the water murky and the beach crowded.
Jan 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
GBC

Thanks for a good idea. We've traveled with snorkel gear but it is so bulky. If we left the flippers at home, it wouldn't be bad at all. Duh...I never thought of it.
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM

We snorkeled Poipu beach in Jan. It was very good. Go up and down both sides of the reef ---some areas have more fish and clearer water than other parts of the reef. So do a little exploring. When we were there, the area on the extreme left side of the reef was best..

Have fun.
Jan 17th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Kal

Billlaaaayyyy.
We have NEVER seen Ke'e Beach so placid in the soon to be 20th year of going over in Nov/Dec/Jan as we did last week.
Unbelieveably calm.

A lot of snorklers were out and about.

But, as a rule...in the Winter" When in doubt, don't go out.
Jan 18th, 2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks Kal. Why anyone would go to Kauai in the winter is beyond me.
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM

I am in Kauai right now in the winter and it is gorgeous! Air temps are in 70's and the south shore snorkeling waters are warm (although, of course, not as warm as in the summer). This time of year there is less traffic and less crowds, also many whale sightings.
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:23 AM

Poipu Beach Park for snorkeling on Kauai pretty much all year round.

Christmas - New Year season is our customary time of the year to visit Kauai.

Anna Roz
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:35 AM
Kal

Billaaaayyy...why anyone would even want to go to Kauai in the first place is still beyong me.

Our extensive and exhausting reaserch into that continues.

For some reason the water seemed warmer and the nights colder this trip.