Search

Snorkeling in Kauai?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Mark

Snorkeling in Kauai?

My wife and I are going to spend the first
week of February in Kauai and would like to
know what's the best beach for snorkeling in the island at this time of the year. We are a bit concerned about water temperature and the strong currents that are apparently common in Kauai in winter.
Thanks a lot for your time,
Mark

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:32 AM
Sarah

Well the best snorkeling in tunnels as well as other popular North Shore locations is off limits for safety in February. There are locations on the south and eastern shores that are nice but I have not been.
lydgate state park, poipu
do an archive search

If I were going in February I would be on the lookout for Whales and Albatrose up at the lighthouse. Make reservations for the free tour before you leave.

Kauai the Ultimate guide if you don't already have.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:57 AM
Julie

Hey, my husband and I will also be in Kauai the first week of February! We've snorkeled at Lydgate park before. I would recommend it only for kids and beginning snorkelers. Poipu beach park usually has good snorkeling and there is a small beach next door to the Beach House restaurant with good snorkeling, although it can be a bit choppy in winter. Also, the water can be a bit cool for me. Last winter we went to the Big Island and the water was much, much warmer. I always get cold easily and I never got chilled when snorkeling on the BI.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:30 AM
jenn

We had the same concerns - buy the book called Hidden Hawaii. It has directions to out of the way beaches that have calmer water. There's one beach you get to by driving on a sugarcane road past the last hotel on the SE corner of Poipu beach (there's a guardstation at the cane field but you just say you're headed to the beach). Although we had to wade through some surf, the water was calm otherwise with some good snorkeling. The water wasn't really warm but it wasn't cold either.
PS It's a clothing optional beach. We didn't know and were surprised when we saw a woman who we thought was wearing a red swimsuit but it turned out she was just really sunburned !

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 12:38 PM
Russ

Snorkeled at Poipu beach in Jan. Water temp. was comfortable in the 70's. You're right about strong currents. Always take about 5 min. before you hop in the water to "read" the currents. Snorkel with others or talk to the locals about the conditions.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
Mark

Thank you all for your great advice.
I 'm glad we are going to be in Big Island too -we tend to like warmer waters. Thanks again, Mark

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
Jean

I've snorkeled at Tunnels in February, and I wasn't the only one there. Conditions are changeable, but not always bad. Water was a bit chilly for me, but then I'm a big wimp -- it certainly wasn't too cold to bear.