Snorkeling in Kauai

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in Kauai

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Kauai this October, and we love snorkeling (we even bought our own gear this year). What are the BEST snorkeling spots on Kauai? I heard there is a nearby island you can take day trips to, but I'm not sure of the name. Any other snorkeling-related tips welcome as well.
Thanks,
AH
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I enjoy snorkeling at Ke'e Beach, located on the North Shore, where the road ends and the Napali Coast begins. Ke'e Beach is a beautiful lagoon (several movies have been made in the area) with an offshore reef teeming with fish. Stay on the inside of the reef to avoid strong currents. Several companies offer snorkeling trips off the coast of the island of Niihau - perhaps that's what you were thinking about.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:51 AM

We found good snorkeling at Salt Pond and Poipu State Park beaches. Ke'e can be very good, though the two legged swimmers predominate and the fish tend to be well fed from the frozen food aisle of the grocery store.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM

I love Makua (Tunnels) Beach. We have found the snorkeling better there than at Ke'e. Go to both. If you go to Ke'e, get there EARLY. We took Holoholo to an island off Ni`ihau last year. The snorkeling was spectacular. You snorkel along this jagged cliff/cove in fairly deep water where the visibility was unbelievable. We were there for only an hour though. I could have stayed in this spot all day. There were HUGE schools of fish everywhere. It is a 7 hour tour that takes you along the Na Pali coast as well. Take something for sea sickness if you go.
-Bill
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM

We enjoyed Kee Beach, Poipu beach was also great, and the beach at Princeville had tons of fish as well.
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 09:54 PM

On the South Shore, good snorkling at the beach next to the Beach House Restaurant.
On the East Side, Lydgate Park has snorkling for kids and no worry about large waves.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 08:05 AM

We found the best snorkeling to be at Ke'e (we got their at about 8am), and the snorkeling at Tunnels to be just so-so. It varies though so try out all the suggestions you are getting.

Have fun!

amelie
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM

Hideaways, lovely little beach at the base of a cliff in Princeville. I would buy the dreaded blue book, Kauai Revealed, for directions to all the spots, not always easy to park. You certainly need to be at Ke'e early to find a place. Hike the Kalalau trail first, then cool off in the ocean.