Snorkeling trips from Kauai's north shore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family and I have decided that we'd like to depart from the north shore for our snorkeling trip. Are there more than two which leave from there? (If there are, I can't find any info supporting it). Which is better -- Captain Sundown or Napali Catamaran? Also...We've ruled out a helicopter tour (financial reasons), so are there any other activities that are 'must do' that we're best off reserving in advance? Any advice is greatly appreciated (our trip is in three weeks)
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Can I assume you will be visiting Waimea Canyon? If so, look into the Holoholo Sunset cruise of the Napali Coast. It leaves out of Port Allen, near Hanapepe. Call for a reservation. They start around 2:45.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 07:18 AM

We like to do boat trips for snorkeling, but on our recent trip to Kauai we decided to do everything on our own, and we had a GREAT time! We snorkeled from the beach at several beaches, and we hiked on our own at Waimea Canyon. For our family of five it was going to be very expensive to go on an organized tour.

My husband and I have done the helicoptor tour and also a snorkeling (with Captain Andy's) on a previous trip to Kauai, and we loved it, but our family had just as much fun doing things on our own this time.

Where are you staying? We stayed a couple of days in Lihue, and then we were at the south shore (Poipu).

There are so many outdoor things (hiking, snorkeling, etc.,) to do in Kauai; I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I know you were asking about a boat trip, but I would recommend just snorkeling off land on the north side. There are so many great snorkeling beaches. For sure go to Tunnels Beach and Ke'e beach. We also took a short hike down to Sea Lodges Beach.
There is a huge reef at Tunnels. There are so many fish and turtles in that area.
I did a boat snorkel tour a few years ago and it was alright.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM

We are staying in the north (Princeville) for most of our trip to Kauai this summer and so I wanted to take a boat ride leaving from the north. However, those boat rides are a lot more expensive. The best one seems to be Napali Catamaran based on The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook (highly regarded). We were going to book with them but it was going to cost our family of five over 600.00 for a snorkeling trip. Based on fodorites' opinions that the snorkeling was just as good if not better from beaches such as Tunnels and Ke'e, we decided to do a nonsnorkeling boat ride at sunset, leaving from the west coast. The cost is in the 200's for all of us. The company we are using is NaPali Explorer, which is a larger zodiac boat that has a bathroom (important with my children). It is small enough to go inside sea caves and able to go closer to the shore. The cost includes snacks instead of a meal. We are very excited! I was able to get a discount just by asking for one. Good luck on your decision!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 09:42 AM

The third company from the north is Hanalei sport fishing and tours but according to Kauai Revealed (Ultimate Kauai Guidebook), it is not as good as Napali Catamaran.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Ashley,

How many days?

36 for me! Ya hear that i2?

-Bill
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 03:15 PM

40 days until we leave!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Took a tour with Napali Catamaran last May. The snorkeling was pretty good (saw sea turtles) but was just a short part of the tour. The scenery is INCREDIBLE. Napali Catamaran leaves from Hanalei which gives you more Napali coverage. If you get motion sickness, be sure to take Bonine. Napali Catamaran operates a small boat (there were 12 of us plus crew) and the waves can get rough later in the day. Also be sure to take a plastic bag for your camera. Despite being quesy - the trip was fabulous!!!!! Have fun!!!!