Kauai next week!! (some Qs)

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Kauai next week!! (some Qs)

Hey

After all the snow here, I'm so excited to be going to Kauai next week. We're splitting our time between Waimea Plantation Cottages, mostly for hiking (and pub grub tastes great after a hike when I'm REALLY hungry), and Hanalei Surfboard House, snorkeling if the weather's good and a couple miles of the trail at Napali.

Here are things I'm still wondering:
First, Helicopters - I did Blue Hawaiian's ride my only other visit to Hawaii and DID like them, but the open doors offered by Jack Harter and Inter-Island intrigue me. Meanwhile, I read about the crashes..... How has Inter-Island responded to this? Also, regardless of who we use, this time of year, are AM tours less likely to be clouded in than PM?

Second, boats to Napali. Someone mentioned here that there are no boating tours out of the North Shore this time of year.... I'd seen Captain Sundown mentioned in one of my tour books. Summer only or just really hit or miss this time of year? If so, thoughts on Blue Dolphin, Kauai Sea Tours, or Napali Explorer? I like the idea that the last two take you to Nualolo Kai for snorkeling....

Third, Polihale. Can we get there in a small 2WD, or does that answer really depend on the weather the couple days prior?

Finally, snorkeling. I know it's really iffy on the North Shore this time of year. If the waves are big, is Anini still an option? As an alternative, it sounds like Salt Pond Beach on the south offers something decent reefs?

Can you tell we're excited!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:54 AM

Simon will give you all the info on north shore snorkeling when you get to his place in Hanalei.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:12 AM

study the ocean conditions with diligance this time of year, and you know the old saying, never turn your back

I adore Polihale - no swimming in winter! but great surf watching and picnic. All depends on when the road has been regraded, I have never had to turn back.

I wouldn't consider a boat trip, but then I am prone to seasickness. I do love doing the powered hanglide

safe journey
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM

I did a helicopter tour a few days ago... we really debated about the doors-off experience, but with the frequency of showers, I decided against it, and it did rain for some of the trip.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM

Poipu Beach can also offer good snorkeling in the winter months when the surt is up on the north shore. If you do snorkel at Anini, make sure you locate where the channels are and stay away from them.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:38 AM

Suggest snorkeling at Poipu before Salt Pond as underwater visibility is generally lower, also recommend Lydgate if rough waters up north.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Kauai/index.htm
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM

This was from another forum:

Aloha from Princeville...

Got this press release from the state DLNR this morning -=- more fallout from our heavy rains:

POLIHALE STATE PARK CLOSED DUE TO SIGNIFICANT EROSION TO ACCESS ROAD AND DAMAGES TO ESSENTIAL INFRASTRUCTURE

LIHU‘E — The Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) Division of State Parks is closing Polihale State Park indefinitely until significant repairs are made to areas of the park that were damaged by recent heavy rains.

“We are asking for the public’s patience and cooperation during this closure,” said Laura H. Thielen, DLNR chairperson. “It is necessary for all vehicles to stay off the roadway to Polihale State Park in order to protect public safety. The park itself is closed and no camping permits are being issued due to the washed out roads.”

Heavy rains last month caused significant damage to the park’s main entrance road including damage to one of the bridges. Continued use of the road before it dried caused it to further deteriorate. The park’s new water system and restroom facilities remain inoperable due to damages sustained by the heavy rains.

With the temporary lack of infrastructure and limited emergency access, the area will remain closed until repairs are made. No new camping permits will be issued until further notice.

DLNR will issue regular updates as repairs proceed.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so Polihale and the Salt Pond are out. Lydgate, maybe on our way up to the North Coast, and Poipu will be our snorkeling options. Many thanks! (Yes, I've heard that Simon at Hanalei is quite the talker. Just want to make sure that if snorkeling gets pushed out until we go to North that I don't miss the opportunity!)

I'm curious about this powered hang gliding!!

Counting down the time in minutes!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM

I did a "doors off" Jack Harter helicopter tour last February and it was awesome.

Spectacular views with no doors in the way. I would definitely do it again!
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:26 PM

birdsinparadise.com

I think there is some other competition. They fly out of port allen.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Hi,

We did Captain Andy's out of Port Allen along the Napali coast, amazing. It was in late Feb early March of 2008.

We saw plently of whales and dophins but the water was too merky to snorkle.

I love Barking Sands Beach. And what my DH call's "Nurse Beach" parking was difficult but wonderful beach with the history of the movie South Pacfic. Watch out for the rocks and waves it is very dangerous yet tempting for a photo.

Can't remember the exact location but it was on the North Shore and had some great fish tacos.

Don't forget to get shave ice!

Karin
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I think the beach Karin is thinking of is Lumahai or as some call it LumaDIE. Look, but don't touch. The first part of Lumahai where there is a cove that you can swim in during the summer is a great place to watch the sunset. Do not climb on the rocks! People have been swept off into the ocean and drowned here.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM

I also did a Jack Harter helicopter tour and it was fantastic. Recommend it highly
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:26 AM

hi,

iamq, that is the beach. When DH and I were there someone had put up a warning sign to advise of the danger. Beside the government high surf, dangerous rocks, under tow, etc signs.

It told of date of the last tourist taken by the waves when having their photo taken on the black rocks on the left side looking into the ocean. It is beautiful go but please listen.

The chickens on the beach were cool. You have heard about Kauai and the chickens, right?

Karin
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 08:24 PM

Here are things I'm still wondering:

First, Helicopters - I did Blue Hawaiian's ride my only other visit to Hawaii and DID like them, but the open doors offered by Jack Harter and Inter-Island intrigue me. Meanwhile, I read about the crashes..... How has Inter-Island responded to this? Also, regardless of who we use, this time of year, are AM tours less likely to be clouded in than PM?

We have been up with Inter Island twice and would go up with them again. Accidents happen. They are part of the Kauai search and rescue team so that tells you something. I'd suggest a late morning trip. If you want to save some $$$, take a fixed wing tour with Wings Over Kauai. We did this in Sept and to us, it was just a good as the heli trip (with the exception of the waterfall landing with Inter Island).

Second, boats to Napali. Someone mentioned here that there are no boating tours out of the North Shore this time of year.... I'd seen Captain Sundown mentioned in one of my tour books. Summer only or just really hit or miss this time of year? If so, thoughts on Blue Dolphin, Kauai Sea Tours, or Napali Explorer? I like the idea that the last two take you to Nualolo Kai for snorkeling....

We adore Kauai Sea Tours. We go out with them when we are there in April eevery year to whale watch. Lucky Lady is a nice catamaran and the crew is fantastic.

Third, Polihale. Can we get there in a small 2WD, or does that answer really depend on the weather the couple days prior?

Closed at this point due to the weather damage to the road. IF it is open, be very careful as it can be quite rutted but the beach is awesome!

Finally, snorkeling. I know it's really iffy on the North Shore this time of year. If the waves are big, is Anini still an option? As an alternative, it sounds like Salt Pond Beach on the south offers something decent reefs?

Lydgate is good since it has a protected area. The next best place if the N. Shore is rough is Poipu.

Can you tell we're excited!

Yes. We leave in exactly 3 months!

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

I needed to grab a guide book to find Barking Sands Beach. Alas, it's a section of Polihale, so, with the road conditions reported here, that's out. Lydgate and Poipu are in, along with whatever our host suggests, based on weather, once we get north.

I've read about the "South Pacific" beac area up north, that it's pretty, but to keep a distance. Maybe a good place to take a lawn chair, a book and a brew after a hike??

Birds in Paradise looks like a hoot!! I forwarded to my husband, but, considering he doesn't do well on amusement park rides, I'm betting he won't go for it; if he does, I'm all over it!! Meanwhile, since people have been happy with both Jack Harter and Inter-island, we'll base it on which part of the island we'll be in (i.e. Harter would fit in well with Lydgate).

All that's left is the boat ride. If weather allows snorkeling at Nualolo Kai, Kauai Sea Tours and Napali Explorer are the choices.

Many thanks!!

Cheryl
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM

If you get a chance, take the tour of the National Tropical Botanical Gardens at the Allerton Estate and Lawai Valley or the Limahuli Gardens on the north shore. They are both nice hikes with lots of interesting plants and sites to see.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 01:45 PM

mrlou has no interest in flying a trike, but has been happy to drop me and pick me up 4 times between Kauai and Maui!

Never considered getting airsick but 2 of my friends did when I brought them. Their mind was into it, but their body wasn't. I had never even considered that a factor!

If it calls you, then go for it! Sorry about the road to Polihale closing. Keep an ear out in case they grade it while you are there, although it sounds like they'll wait awhile.

Last time I was on the north shore in winter, there was never even a question of putting a toe in the water, the surf was so high, but Hanalei Bay is always there.

Be safe and cautious while remaining adventurous!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Okay, we booked a hotel next to the Seattle airport for tonight after being landlocked for two days. They're working on a landslide on one way out and the road is washed away on the other, so we need to ensure we can get out for an 8:20AM flight.

Jeff told me to 'have a good time' on the Birds of Paradise, so that's out. (I haven't told him yet that our helicopter won't have doors......)

If time permits, the Tropical Gardens would be a nice way to get a leisurely stroll in. Especially before/after snorkeling at Poipu...

One last item: where do I get an accurate weather forecast???
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Hi,

I get my weather from NOAA it is a .gov or .org.

You don't want to know about the chickens?

Karin