Itinerary Reassurance (May)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to NYC May 7-11th. Check into our hotel (Radio City Apts. $139.00 per night)Plan to walk to Grand Central and have a late lunch at Juniors (cheesecake a must-See I have been reading the posts for the past six months!) See the Chrysler building on the way back to the hotel. Is this walkable? Head over to Times Square to pick up any new brochures etc and then back to rest before going on the Harbour Lights
Tour and a late dinner.
Monday-Up early (not a problem for us) to take the subway to Battery Park for 8 am (too early?) We have SOL obs. tickets for 9:45 am and they said the first ferry was 9:30 am, first come first serve. Can you book your ferry ahead? Following SOL and Ellis Island (afternoon by now) we plan to have lunch and wander around downtown to see Wall St., Century 21 store,Woolworth Building, New York Stock Exchange and pay our respects at the Trade Center Site. Is there a logical walking route or is this unrealistic? We have purchased the 48 hour loop tour but do not want to activate it until Tues and Wed as we expected most of Monday to be SOL and Ellis Island. What we don't see today we could see on Tuesday. After supper plan to wander around Times Square area, have a drink somewhere and turn in early.
Tuesday-Is it possible to walk from our hotel to the Empire State Building? We would like to get there early (tickets bought online)and then start to double decker tour from there. Plan to finish off in the downtown area with Chinatown and sites not see on the day before. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge and lunch somewhere before our 3pm tour of Radio City Music Hall(booked) Back to the hotel for a rest, early diner and a show.
Wednesday-NBC Studio Tour for 8:30 am (booked) Hop on the tour bus and head to the UN. Could we walk to the UN from NBC? If yes, how long would it take? Following the UN back on the bus to Central Park and spend some time there. Fit in some shopping, quick rest, (husband likes a power nap), and out for dinner before the evening 7 pm All Loops Night Tour.
Thursday- Leisurely breakfast (any suggestion within walking distance?) and some last minute shopping/people watching before checking out and heading to the airport.

Just wanted to say that I have been following everyone's posts for the past six months and have found the comments and suggestions excellent. I'm not looking for restaurants or hotels, (I can look those up myself) just suggestions on our plans. Any help would be welcome. Are we planning too much or not enough? Thanks

Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:11 AM

Here are a nswers to a few of your questions, in no particular order, as well as some unasked for advice:

Skip the Junior's cheesecake. There is better cheesecake in NYC. Yes, you can easily walk back to the hotel froom Chrysler Bldg. Yes, you can take subway at 8am but you do not need to leave so early to get a 9:30 ferry. If you DO go that early, eat breakfast downtown near the ferry. You can easily walk to all those downtown areas; Century 21 is right across the street from WTC. You can also walk to Chinatown on that day if you have time and eat a meal there. Yes, you can easily walk from hotel to Empire State...15 minutes maximum. You can have a meal in Chinatown before or after walking along the Brooklyn Bridge. If weather is bad you will need to skip the Bridge walk; you can add Lower East Side instead. Yes, you can walk from NBC to UN...about 20 minutes or so. Basically, all the sites you mentioned in midtown are easy to walk to from your hotel and all the downtown sites are walkable from ferry/WTC/Chinatown. Hope that helps!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Most tourists love Junior's cheesecake, however, I'm not sure I'd do that on arrival on a Sunday. There are free tours of Grand Central on Weds. & Fris. at 12:30. I'd save it for Wed., (although the itin. you have won't really allow time. Also, while both Times Square and Grand Central are an easy walk from your hotel, they're in opposite directions (east and west). The Chrysler building is directly across from Grand Central, and while you can't see much normally due to building security, on a weekday you could at least walk in the lobby to have a look. On a Sunday, the buiilding is likely to be locked. Sooo., on arrival, I'd head toward Times Square, get your brochures, have a look around. (I assume you realize your hotel is right near Rockefeller Center). Depending on the time and weather, you could consider a Circle Line boat ride. You may want to pick up a few things for your fridge in the room too.

I think you should get downtown as early as possible on Mon. Remember it's a work day and at 8 or later, you're traveling with the rush hour crowd. If you have SOL obs. tkts., you basically have booked a ferry. Read what your tickets say or look at the website again.

The UN is pretty far east (on the East River) and while walkable from NBC, it's a "schlepp" You might consider a crosstown bus heading east on 50th st. or 42 st. (to 1st ave.)

I think you may have to start the double decker tour from their main office in Times Square (rather than at ESB) unless you already have tickets. Double check that again either on tkts or website.

You have an ambitious schedule and will likely not manage it all. You might think about what you'd be willing to skip if necessary. I don't see mention (unless I'm reading to fast) of Top of the Rock, the new observatory at Rock Ctr. Reports are it's much nicer and more friendly than ESB and great views of Central Park and ESB. Since you're so close at your hotel, would be a shame not to do that. Reports are no crowds or bad lines.

Have fun!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. If not cheesecake at Junior's where would you suggest?

I have been reading the posts on Top of the Rock and perhaps going there on our last morning would be nice as a way to end our trip. We have to check out by 11 and since it is so close to the hotel, we will plan to do that. Any other places you think we should include or remove from our plans?
I deliberately didn't ask for any advice on specific restaurants as my husband loves the sausage cart etc. and who knows where we will be when we are hungry? Lots of other posts to read for that.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:10 AM

DO NOT skip Top of the Rock !!!
We were there last Saturday--NO lines--direct shot up elevator just as good views as Empire State. (Almost as many floors high as ES-although not sure of exact number.)
Subway--We took it from Times SQ area, got off at Ground zero site nd then walked to waiting area for SOL
We used Metro Pass (also on buses) purchased inside Metro staion for what ever amount your want--we used $20 for two of us and shared with our third person.
Attendant in station was very helpful and showed us how to use the machine. Did you plan to see the new MoMA -building is fantastic...It is on W 54th St between 6th & 5th Ave-Only 3 blocks from Radio City Music hall--I think it is closed on Tuesdays
Be sure to let us know how you liked the Radio City Apts..that is really a good price for NYC
NYC is a magical city--you will have a great time...
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM

My two favorites for cheesecake are S&S (too out of the way for you as it is in the Bronx; Palm serves their c.cakes) and Eileen's, which is at 17 Cleveland Place just north of Chinatown. But for a visitor, Junior's is more convenient so give it a try if you cannot get to Eileen's during your downtown walks.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 10:48 AM

Suggest you get a good street map of NYC in advance and locate all of the places you will be going. In NYC the north/south blocks are short (20 to the mile) while the east/west blocks are longer but vary (each may be 2 or 3 n/s blocks).

Unless there is a lot of foot traffic (like rush hour or Times Square area at any time) a reasonable walk for a New Yorker is a minute or so per N/S block. Tourists often take longer (either looking around or just walking slowly). And depending on how much walking you ar used to doing you may think some things are not walkable - many NYCers walk several miles per day just to/fro work and doing errands.

Also - you may want to check out your subway trips before you leave. The MTA has a downloadable, interactive subway map and you can print out the sections you will need most - from your hotel to the major sites.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help nytraveler. Excellent concrete advice re: times for e/w and n/s blocks. That's what I need to know. Also what is the website for the subway map that can be downloaded? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:07 PM

Subway map

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

If you're looking for a place for lunch on your arrival day near the hotel, there's a Heartland Brewery on 6th & 51 st. If you're heading for Times Square, the Film Center Cafe has a good weekend brunch. If it's a lovely day and you want to sit outside, you might try the Bryant Park Cafe behind the library.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 02:03 PM

Just remembered, Braserie Ruhlmann is the ideal place for you to have brunch when you arrive (assuming it's before 3pm). It's in Rockefeller Center and very nice food. Read here

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

I've printed off the subway map and plan to check with the ferry to see if the observatory tickets guarantee us a spot on the first ferry at 9:30 am. I'll check the websites for the restaurant suggestions as well. I booked the air and hotel last Sept to answer the question as to the good price of the hotel and I've had all winter to read everyone's comments on this site. Keep them coming! Thanks