How far do you scroll?

Mar 13th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

How far do you scroll?

I was just curious -- when you look at this board, how far down the list of thread on the left to you scroll? Do you just look at the first 50? Do you go to "next 50"?

I ask because I wonder if once your thread with a question sinks, whether it is doomed to not getting many replies.

I noticed for a long time that threads kept coming back up for air, so to speak, here on the US board. That meant they were being seen and having a better chance to getting replies without having the OP doing a "ttt"

I also noticed that on the Europe board, threads sink fast and often don't get as many replies. Maybe this has to do with the shear volume of questions posted and some folks asking the same questions over that have already been asked by other posters.

As for me, I try to scroll back to the last time I was here. Luckily, since I like to check in here, that isn't always very far back.

So, I just wondered -- how far back to you scroll?

Debi
Mar 13th, 2007, 06:35 AM

hi Debi~ I read here most days on Latin America, US, and Europe. I do scroll until I recognize where I left off which depending on the board could be the 1st 50, or 100 or even 150 for Europe.

Another method I use, is hit my own screen name, and follow posts I have contributed to. This is a way to keep track of some that may have sunk further down than I read, but I can add something to bring it to the top, and/or catch up with what others have added since my comments.
Mar 13th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I usually check on a couple posts during the day in which I am particularly interested. I usually check the first 100. Sometimes I post a reply to one that I am trying to keep up "at surface level" just for the sake of seeing it back on top!
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Up until last month I would go back to where I left off. Now that arthritis is in my right hand, I just go back 50 or 100.
Mar 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM

I usually check the first 50 or so, but if I have been away, I scroll to perhaps 100 or depending on the length I've been away, I do a search in the forum for the destination/topics I usually contribute to most to see what's happened while I was away

Mar 13th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I click on my name to see which posts been answered.

Then, on the US board, I do a search for San Francisco where I live.

After that - as much as the work allowes, but usually only the first 50 on the forums I visit: US, Europe, lounge, sometimes others.
Mar 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I usually check in once a day - and scroll back 24 hours or so. If I don;t have a chance to check in for a couple of days I usually still do the 24 hour - figuring I'll see any very active thrads.

Posts drop faster on the europe board becaue there are many more posts - and quite a few are specific about places not so many people have been.
Mar 15th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Hello Miss Debi!

Normally just up to 50 since I check in every day.

Or I type in a city/place as well.
Mar 15th, 2007, 05:21 PM

I usually go back to the day/time I left off.
Mar 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Jed

Since I'm on Fodors (most) every morning, I check until the previous morning. This is about 150 for US, 250 for Europe, less for others. Slightly less on the weekends. Then I check on my name.