Search

NYC - December Airline Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:30 AM
bc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC - December Airline Tickets

We are going to NYC the week before Christmas. Although we have been there many times, we have never gone at Christmas time. I am just wondering about the timing of buying airline tickets. I would imagine flights book up pretty quickly at that time of the year? I tend to over-prepare for things, but one of the tickets is for my 75 year old mother who is in the very early stages of Alzheimers. Of course, there is the possibilty she may not be able to go. But, I would rather buy the ticket and her not be able to use it than to find that we can't find a flight. Is this too early? Obviously, I want to get the best price I can but it is more important that we have a seat than to wait for a better deal. Am I over-thinking this?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 11:44 AM
GoTravel

What we saw last Christmas was cheap flights and super expensive hotel rooms.

Book your rooms now and then start stalking the internet for cheaper rooms and cheap flights.

Traditionally the week before Christmas is less expensive than the begining of December but still peak season. Just not painfully so.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:20 PM

I second what gotravel says: The cost of airline tickets is NOT the problem at Christmas time. We went two weeks before Christmas--flights were no more expensive than usual, and maybe even cheaper, and flights not sold out. $199 round trip from Houston. Then, after we got our plane tickets, we tried to get hotel rooms and they were at least double what they usually are and very, very scarce. Also, of course, tickets for Broadway were hard to come by.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM

I'd suggest checking www.hotels.com for your dates of travel, and get the airline tickets when the airline has the lowest fares into the market, just ask the agent when you call to book, what the fares are running.

This trip will give Mom something to look forward to all summer and fall.

Also you might check with some of the suite hotels so you get a bit more room for everyone to spread out.

All that said, I would recommend The Hotel Grand Union on E. 32nd St, it's close to shopping several restaurants not far away, bus and subway lines are very close and it's away from the noise of Times Square. They also have a couple of suites. The website is www.hotelgrandunion.com

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I just checked the website for the Grand Union and the rate is very good for the early part of December, $203nt for 2/3 and $275 for 4.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
GoTravel

DO NOT wait until this summer or fall to book your hotel.

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:59 PM

The earlier you book your hotel the better price you will get. Late bookers paid more for the same rooms last year. Once you have your hotel organized - then book flights. (I know this sounds backwards but given hotel scarcity and rates in NYC during the holidays it makes sense - since hotel will be WAY more than flights.)
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:18 PM

Yes, I'd second the book-early hotel suggestion. If you can find something now, book it. But buy travel insurance in case you have to cancel your plans because of your mother's illness. I hope you have a good time in the city this December.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM
bc
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We do have our hotel room and we can cancel up until the day before. I knew the hotel rooms would disappear quickly....I just did not know about the flights. I guess I do have time to look and can stop fretting. GoTravel, you are correct in that the week before Christmas was by far cheaper than the rest of December---that is why we picked that time. I was surprised by the difference in price. Maryanntex brought up a good point...is it too soon to look at Broadway shows? Everytime I book a show far in advance, it closes before I get there!!!!! Of course, they refund the price of the ticket but not the exhorbitant service charges!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:25 AM
GoTravel

Do not wait to book your shows.

Package providers have already bought up blocks of the most popular shows so you'll find availability already limited.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM

I think you have plenty of time to book shows for December. There are a few shows like Jersey Boys that consistently well out, but they aren't that many these days. Booking this summer or early fall is more than enough time ahead.