Search

hotel in boulder

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel in boulder

having trouble figuring out what hotels are downtown. i won't have a car, so can't stay out of town. thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:24 AM

Are you really interested in being in downtown Boulder or near the campus? There are not many hotels in downtown Boulder. Can only think of one -- Colorado. The Pearl Street Mall is the heart of downtown Boulder so mapquest or goggle map the hotel's location with regard to Pearl Street.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM

Opps -- should have said Pearl St and Broadway is the center. Pearl Street runs across Boulder but in that area it is a pedestrian mall for about four blocks. There is another cluster of hotels around Arapahoe Ave and 28th which is near the NE corner of the campus.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks, fmpden...if it is near the campus do I need a car? that's my main issue. I want have a car.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM

Need a car for what?? If you have activity on campus and stay in the area of Arapahoe Ave and 28th, at most it would be a five or six block walk to the center of campus. Unfortunately, mostly uphill. Boulder does have a pretty good bus system but I don't know the routes. Second, if you had a car would not do you much good on campus simply because there are few places to park. Now the student union has a small hotel operation which is near the center of campus.

I think to you need to explain what you need to accomplish.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM

You mean the Boulderado, in downtown Boulder? It's a nice, historic hotel. You could probably take a bus to CU from there, but I don't know the routes, either.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:12 PM

PeaseOUt is correct. I know that was the wrong name but I just drew a blank on the name other than Colorado. Kind of close. There is a bus that runs on Broadway which is just about two blocks west of the hotel.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

sorry everyone, but i don't know where the idea came from that I need to be near campus. "fmpden" mentioned campus. Not I. I have never been to Boulder. I just need to be central (not isolated) because i won't have a car. I do think "fmpden" meant Hotel Boulderado, (don't think there is a Hotel Colorado). Boulderado, while it sounds well-located, doesn't get great reviews for the $$$$. So, to recap, a hotel in Boulder that is not isolated if one does not have a car. Easy airport access
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM

If you have $$$$, the St. Julien is a new upscale hotel/spa well-located by the far end of the Pearl Street mall (i.e. Boulder central). If you want to be able to walk around at night to shops and restaurants, I'd suggest you stay near Pearl Street downtown. There are hotels on Baseline, and 28th, but those would be too isolated for my taste.

Have you googled for B&Bs in Boulder? I think there are a few scattered near the U.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:26 AM

I admit to being the one that raised the question of being close to campus. It is difficult to respond to your question when you are so vague about being in downtown Boulder. Often when people come to Boulder it is associated with activities on the university. Other than the university there is not a whole lot in Boulder. It is a university town. The physical setting around the university and town is terrific but it is just a town.

And then you last post throws in "easy airport access." DIA is about 45 miles away. The is direct bus (RTD) access along with some shuttle services but don't know if that is what you mean by easy access. None of the hotels will have their own shuttle service.

If you were willing to share why you are coming to Boulder, what you would like to see and do, when, maybe we could provide better answers. And when is very important !!
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:46 AM

I stayed in Boulder at the Boulderado this summer on two weekdays. The rates were expensive, but I called to see if I could get a lower rate. When I talked to someone at the hotel, the man told me the room was $250 or so, and when I asked if they had anything less expensive, he told me i could get the same room on special for $150. Granted this was the day before I was to arrive. And for the money, I would say the room was worth $150 not 250. So it might be worth it to call the hotel to check for any specials.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM

For airport transport, look into RTD bus service to Boulder from DIA.
http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/start.action
It runs regularly and isn't too expensive. I think a cab one-way to Boulder is about $58.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all and esp fmpden...but your questions are begging my question! the reason I ask is because I know NOTHING about Boulder at all. I actually never intended to go there. It is solely due to a screw up on a part of fellow travelers that I find myself needing a "port in the storm" for one night. I am litereally in next tues aternoon, gone the next morning, so that prompted my question. Wish it could be compelling but, alas, it's not.
williamscb13, I'll try the Boulderado for $150 but from what I read, i wouldn't pay more...I think an airport shuttle goes directly there. if not I'll do the Marriot on Canyon Road, I guess.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM

You are inscrutable. I assume you are arriving at DIA on Tuesday. Why then travel to Boulder? You could easily and reasonably stay in downtown Denver, have access to a number of cultural sites and excellent restaurant. Have a very pleasant and relaxing evening in the downtown area and easily return to the airport the next morning. I see no reason to go to Boulder unless you just want to say you have been in Boulder.

The Marriot on Canyon Road is nice property but it is a couple of miles to the east of downtown Boulder. A new, redeveloped shopping mall is just to the east a couple of blocks.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

fmpdem, you're making me laugh. what...do you work for Interpol? I'm not being "inscrutable" though I quite like the description, but if I actually went into the entire - forgive the vernacular - cluster...you'd be reading War and Peace. Suffice it to say, this is what happens when you try to accomodate other people's inconvenient, incomplete or half-baked travel plans. You end up where you don't want to be, spending money you don't want to spend. Take it from me...fly solo.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM

You might look at this property, the University Inn http://www.boulderuniversityinn.com/ Less expensive, not new but clean and it gets great reviews on Trip Advisor. The location is perfect, you could walk there to/from the bus terminal and the Pearl Street Mall, the pedestrian heart of downtown Boulder. If you're just there one night, it would work.

To get from the airport to Boulder, use the RTD Skyride bus that you can catch right outside from the same level as baggage claim (walk across the lanes to the far island). They leave about once an hour, Route AB is what you'd want. Take it all the way to the end to the Boulder Transit Center, then it would be a 5-10 minute walk to this hotel. It costs $12 CASH (no change given), so be prepared.

This is a link to the schedule from rtd-denver.com: http://tinyurl.com/l8rqf6

Even though this trip might not have been perfectly planned, you may really enjoy your chance to see a great and unique and picturesque town!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM

You are so !! I ask questions and get vague, indirect answers. I don't need a War and Peace answer to why do you want to go to Boulder. If it is just a quick overnight stay why go to the trouble of traveling fifty miles by public transit? A simple answer could have been, I just want to see Boulder, Ok, that is fine.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM

You could could stay at the new Marriott or Clarion Harvest House, on 28th & Arapaho (the Marriott is a block farther north), and take a quick bus to the pedestrian Pearl Street Mall (or go across the street to the new 29th Street mall, a blend of shops, restaurants, and a large movie theater movie, all of which border an open-air plaza). The Airporter shuttle goes right to the Clarion; not sure about the Marriott, but it's only a block away (I imagine the shuttle also goes there, though).
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hez

We always put people at the Quality Inn and everyone has thought it to be a good location (but several blocks to the middle of town - nice walking though), clean and reasonably priced. ( http://www.qualityinnboulder.com/ )

There is also the Bradley Boulder Inn - a bit more expensive but really lovely - and an excellent location. ( http://www.thebradleyboulder.com/ )
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. I stayed at the Marriott on 28th. Perfect. walked from transit depot and restaurants and cafes easily