Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

If I could visit just 1 winery in the Portland, Or area...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we will be in portland the ending of sept. we'll have a car and would like to visit 1 winery. we'll be going to the columbia gorge area to site see, any good wineries there?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Only one winery? That is torture to limit yourself A very good one that is in the NW part of downtown is Grochau Cellars. Otherwise I would head down to the Dundee/McMinnville area. What types do you like?
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Wineries are like Lay's potato chips; you can't stop at just one. But, if you must.... what kinds of wine do you prefer? There are wineries out in the gorge that make warmer climate wines - cabernet, syrah, zinfandel - but, in what most think of as Oregon wine country, pinot noir is king.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 11:29 AM

I think Maryhill Winery is very nice - it is up the Gorge -
beautiful setting, they do have a place where you can buy lunch and overlook the river
they also have outdoor concerts in the summer - series will likey be over by the end of Sept but you can check.

close by is a historic art museum and a replica of Stonehenge which is interesting if you have never seen the real one

http://www.maryhillwinery.com/
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

hey, thanx for the tips. i like merlots, cabs and have tried viognier this summer. i know portland is suppose be known for their pinot noirs so i would like to try those.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM

In no particular order, my favorites are Grochau, Brick House, Seufert, and Arbor Brook. I like many more, but these are all excellent.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 07:47 AM

I would go to Archery Summit or Domaine Drouhin. We did a nice Pinot Noir flight at Ponzi this past Sun. after lunch at Fenouil and breakfast at the London Grill @ The Benson where we stayed. ***kim***
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM

If you truly to plan to limit it to just one winery, Ponzi is probably the closest good one to Portland where you'll also have a nice vineyard experience. If you've time to spare, they've got a bocce court (or two) there also.

"We did a nice Pinot Noir flight at Ponzi this past Sun. after lunch at Fenouil and breakfast at the London Grill @ The Benson where we stayed."

Why not post a "trip report", kimamom? Editors here are much less likely to delete it than on TA.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM

Since you will be in The Gorge any way, I would suggest visiting one there. Cathedral Ridge is in a beautiful setting but their wines aren't my favorite.

Phelps Creek has some nice wines. They have a small tasting room in the middle of a golf course so watch out for flying balls! ;-)

Syncline on the Washington side had fantastic wines! This is just across the bridge from Hood River so it is easy to get to.

Wind River, also on the Washington side, has decent wines and absolutely stellar views! You have to drive up a very windy road to get up to it but the views and wine make it worthwhile.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM

WillaKenzie (outside of Dundee) was a very interesting winery. One of the owners, Bernard (?) showed us around and told us a lot about the wine.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM

I would second Ponzi because they also have a restaurant there.

However, there is also a wine bar (Noble Rot) on the eastside in Portland that's a good try. Call first. They seem to have funny hours.

Personally I don't care for McMenniman wines.