Search

Visiting Denver/DU - Where to Stay?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2010, 12:07 PM
KGL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visiting Denver/DU - Where to Stay?

I will be visiting Denver Feb. 13-16 to check out DU's law school, and am looking for suggestions on where to stay. I am a female in my mid twenties and will be visiting alone. Ideally, I would prefer that my hotel is in a walkable, fun area. I have no problem taking the light rail or busses to get around, but I'm just not sure which areas to look at for hotels. I would also prefer not to rent a car, but will if I have to. Any suggestions as to where to stay and neighborhoods to check out are greatly appreciated, as I have never been to Denver. Thank you!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM

I think you'd want to stay right downtown, particularly if you don't want to rent a car, because you can take the Light Rail easily to campus, and take advantage of the higher concentration of restaurants, shopping and nightlife. I checked the law school website (just to confirm where it was, because it's moved in the last few years) and they had a number of hotels downtown offering a special rate, many under $100. There aren't many hotel choices any closer to campus, and you'd definitely need a car to easily get around if you're not downtown.

Good luck with your law school app - DU's a great school and I hope you find Denver a great area to live!
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM

The law school is back on the main campus. The downtown area is easy to reach via bus from the airport. Second the downtown area is easy to get around via the free 16th mall shuttle. And, third, the campus is easily reached by Light Rail that runs in the range of about every 8 to 10 minutes.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 07:18 AM
KGL
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Just a quick question -- what exactly is considered "downtown"? Is it the area from the Capitol to Union Station? Some of the hotels that say downtown seem to be a bit further away. Thanks!
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 07:33 AM

Yes, that's exactly it, with roughly the area a few blocks beyond it as well. The 16th St. Mall is the main thoroughfare and has a lot of choices within a few blocks on either side. Looking at the list of hotels on the D.U. website, the Weston Tabor Center and the Sheraton were in this area; the Burnsley is about six blocks away. Another place that gets good reviews and may appeal to you is The Curtis (http://www.thecurtis.com/), a boutique hotel with a hip decor in a great location.