Denver local flavor??

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Katrina

Denver local flavor??

Will be flying into Denver on a Sat evening with plans to hit RMNP later in the week. Does anyone have any recommendations for a hotel in Denver that is in the general direction going out of town toward Boulder and RMNP?? Will be staying only 1 night and would like something thats got some local flavor or in a neat area that would be fun to check out (ie, history, shops, restaurants, etc). Moderate price preferred > $100.

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Katrina

OOPS! I meant less than $100! I got my arrows wrong!

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:40 AM
kima

Katrina, Stay Downtown for flavor or at one of the B&Bs midtown http://www.denverbedbreakfast.com/

Chains look at the Comfort Inn on 17th
the Courtyard by Marriott on the 16th st mall both will put you in a great location to see LoDo, Lairmer Square

Be sure also to search the online discounts have seen the Hotel Monaco go for around 100.00 also look at the Oxford Hotel may be out of your budget, but if not that would be my first choice.

Jul 12th, 2002, 03:01 PM
x

Stay downtown near the 16th street mall area. Will give you a nice area to look around and explore by foot.

Jul 12th, 2002, 03:22 PM
David

Katrina,

This may be a little more than you wish to spend but I highly recommend checking out the Hotel Teatro downtown. Located between the DCPA (Denver Center for the Performing Arts) and historic Larimer Square, sits this beautifully refurbished IOAO gem. The rooms are gorgeous and the restaurants and service are great.

Normally, the rooms run $255 and up but I stayed there last week for $125 (9th floor, corner suite with balcony and both city and mountain views). Just give them a call and bargain with them--it's worked twice for me.

Lots of shops and restaurants within a five-minute walk of the hotel (Larimer Square).

Good Luck,

Davidcs

Jul 15th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Tony

Hotel Monaco is very cool. The restaraunt there is awesome as well! I agree with the online booking advice...

Jul 17th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Katrina

Hi
Thanks for all the suggestions. Does anyone have any comments about the Warwick? I was able to get a good deal there and the location seems pretty good. Everything else was either booked, or if within my price range, didn't have the type room I needed. Now, about dinner.... I read on another post that Tomayo and Vesta Dipping Grill were both worth checking out. Agree/disagree?? Are both within easy access from the Warwick? We will be there on a Sat. night--will either be too crowded? Any other suggestions for the LoDo, Larimer Sq. area? I will be w/ my 24 y.o. son. Thanks a million!!!

Jul 17th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Teresa

Vesta Dipping Grill is well worth checking out. Hip, fun and different. The corn dipping sauce is especially good and the martinis are excellent. Have been there twice when in town and can't wait to go back.

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:27 AM
M

The Elkhorn Exchange serves a lot of game meet and is interesting. Close to downtown.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:42 AM
kima

The Warwick is very nice. They went under a major remodel recently. Its a bit further walk than the others but close enough. You will want to hop on the 16th mall shuttle,free, it will get you closer to the action. Just ask at the hotel to point you in the right direction. Yes Vesta's it is a favorite! Its in the heart of the action. you can walk around both LoDo and Larimer from there. Uh the Elkhorn is that the one with all the dead animals on the walls? If so Skip it.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:43 AM
kima

PS both will be crowded Vestas takes reservations book now!

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:48 AM
What

Kima
What is wrong with "trophy" heads on the wall? It is Colorado - they do serve authentic Colorado grill - it seems to "fit" in with the atmosphere and the experience. I understand if you have a problem with this atmosphere, but why not let people make their own choices.

Jul 18th, 2002, 09:49 AM
kima

not sure that dead animals = Colorado but your right to each there own.

Jul 18th, 2002, 10:15 AM
please

Kima,

Don't take this the wrong way but when you use the word "there" as in "to each there own," it should be spelled t-h-e-i-r. What you printed is used in sentences such as, "there it is!" NOT in sentences that demonstrate belonging.

I enjoy your postings--keep it up.

Jul 18th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Terri

It's the Buckhorn Exchange not Elkhorn. The Buckhorn Exchange has wonderful food. It holds Colorado's first liquor license. http://www.buckhorn.com/

Hope you enjoy beautiful Colorado!

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Katrina

Thanks for the heads up on the reservations at Vesta. I was able to make them via email today quite easily. Can't wait! Thanks for all the advice!