Good NYC restaurant for a "crowd"

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:33 PM
David DB

Good NYC restaurant for a "crowd"

Message: I will be meeting around 10 family members in New York City in August and would like to take them out to a really good, yet casual, restaurant where we would not feel uncomfortable engaging in lively chatter and laughter. Location options open. Got any suggestions?

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:49 PM
xxxxx

Becco.

Jul 18th, 2002, 05:51 PM
gc

Churrascaria Plataforma. Brazillian barbeque on W. 49th.

If you want to carbo load, this ain't the place.

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:02 PM
lisa

I like Fresco by Scotto for a crowd. It's located at 52nd & Madison. Be sure to make a reservation.

Another option is Carmine's. It's family-style Italian. Two locations - Times Square and Upper West Side.

Same concept, but not as difficult to get a table, is Tony's Di Napoli. It's on Second Ave and 82 (there abouts).

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:13 PM
xxx

Carmine's may be good for a crowd but the food is NASTY!

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:24 PM
S

Carmine's perfect for a large group. They serve family style and it may be the noisiest restaurant in NYC. Food is "nasty" only if you don't like garlic. They will take a reservation for six or more.

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Cathy

I've been to Carmine's twice w/ a crowd and thought it was great fun. The first time, a weekend night, I didn't eat very much (something to do with being with about 9 starving teenagers; they ate LOTS!). The second time we had a smaller group and had a fabulous dinner.

It may not be fancy Italian, but I thought it was fun place, with huge platters of tasty food. It is very LOUD, so your group will fit right in.

It it matters, we went to the Upper West Side location.

Jul 18th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Claire

Carmines - the one in Time Square. The food is served family style and in large portions. You can definitely engage in livery chatter without feeling like you're being too loud. The atmosphere is casual and the food is decent. Highly recommend it.

Jul 18th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Ted

I must also suggest TONY'S DI NAPOLI on Second Avenue. The food is much better than Carmine's and the atmosphere lends itself nicely to large groups (which the staff is always more than willing to accommodate). Plus, the Upper East Side is a great New York neighborhood for a family dinner (much better than Times Square, which caters primarily to tourists and it shows in the quality of the food).