Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to Strada 57 Ristorante Italiano in NYC?

Jul 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

We are planning our cruise trip from NYC to Canada. We are staying at the Warwick in NYC the night before the criuise and have tickets for Promises, Promises. I am once again looking for an Italian restaurant in the general area. We've been to several Italian restaurants (Azalea, La Rivista, Vice Versa and Trattorino Rino) there but I would like to go somewhere new for us. I found Strada 57 Ristorante Italiano online. Has anyone eaten there recently? I looked them up menupages and am satisified with the menu but wanted to get input from local people on Fodor's.
Jul 11th, 2010, 05:54 PM

Becco on W. 46th( restaurant Row) is excellent. See their website for menu.
There also are other Italian restaurants nearby.
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I must disagree about Becco. It is not an excelllent restaurant, it is convenient to the theater distrct and serves unlimited portions of pasta. It is fine for what it does and is a good food value, but not much above that.
Jul 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM

A strong recommendation for Remi on West 53rd Street, between 6th & 7th Avenues. It's very close to the Warwick.
I totally agree with Aduchamp1's evaluation of Becco.
Jul 12th, 2010, 08:09 AM

If you are not insistent on Italian - try - Molyvos - upscale Greek and it is near your hotel.
Jul 12th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations. My parents are coming along with us on the cruise and they don't have a sophisticated or an adventurous palette. The Greek restaurant sounds like something my husband and I would enjoy but unfortunately it won't work for them.

When we went to NYC on a weekend trip last fall we ate at Becco with a large group in a private room upstairs. We had a set menu and I liked the food. I agree with Aduchamp that it was a good food value. It may not be considered a top rated restaurant but we enjoyed the meal and the setting. I was considering it for this time too but it's fun to try new restaurants.

I'll check out the menu for Remi. I was looking through menupages and that doesn't sound like one that I saw yet. Thank you for the recommendations. Keep them coming!
Jul 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM

Trattoria Dell 'Arte is terrific but can get pricey depending on what you order. I love their thin crust pizza as an appetizer; they're known for their antipasto and the veal chop parmigiana is fabulous and big enough for 2 to share. The ambiance is buzzy and very NY. Remi is very nice and more refined/sedate than Trattoria Dell'Arte. Piano Due is also very good, refined and has a pre theater dinner. http://www.pianoduenyc.net/cuisine.html Maria Pia is another option if their tastes are more simple.

I think I was at Strada 57 years ago and it seemed tired then. It's also a bit out of the way between the hotel to the theater. I assume you know about menupages.com There are a TON of Italian restaurants in that area. http://www.menupages.com/restaurants...sort/Rating-1/
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks McLaurie. I'll have to look at Remi and Piano Due. Menupages has been very helpful over the years in picking places to go and in weeding out some restaurants. We only have a few more weeks so hopefully I'll decide soon. Have any of you seen Promises, Promises? It looks good.
Jul 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM

Agree that Becco is known for large portions and low prices - not quality - it's just OK. In that area we do Trattoria DellArte - food is fine and it has a lively atmosphere.
Jul 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM

I have only eaten at Maria Pia once and it was just a step above ordinary.
Jul 15th, 2010, 08:09 AM

I saw Promises, Promises 2-3 wks. ago. Good fun. Not the best show on Broadway but very entertaining. Leads are good and Katie Finneran tears down the house. Have you seen the Broadway banter thread? http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-spring-10.cfm
Jul 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM

I love Strada 57. The food is good and it's a good location, in-between Kennedy's Pub and Goldie Hawn's apartment. I have always enjoyed the food and service was fine. We normally reserve the table right in front of the window and it's great for people watching as well. Enjoy your stay in NYC.
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I haven't checked out the Broadway banter thread recently. I chose the show because I know my parents enjoy the "boy meets girl, they sing and dance and the show ends somewhat happy" type of show. That was one of the only ones that fit the criteria that we haven't already seen in some form. It's getting to be countdowm time and I'm getting excited for the trip.
Jul 18th, 2010, 02:29 PM

I really love Esca and always bring friends there for pre-theater Italian. It's at w43rd and 9th, but some reviewers find it underwhelming.