Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Good food, good priced, 'hole-in-the-wall' type restaurants in NYC?

Jan 17th, 2002, 11:47 PM
lani

hi,

going to NYC next week and looking for some good, reasonable-priced small places to eat. i love to find yummy little restaurants to eat at, the kind that the 'locals' go to. are there any near midtown manhattan (staying at sheraton) and also the seaport? any type of food is ok. i had an earlier post looking for something else but people left some suggestions for 7th ave deli, little korea, etc. any others out there? thanks for any help!

Jan 18th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Love

Go to chowhounddotcom. There's a NYC board on there. It's even broken down by boroughs, and it'll give lots of recommendations and opinions.

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Parrot Mom

While in NYC in December a local couple told us about a little italian restaurant and it was fabulous... Ralph's at 862 9th Avenue..Corner of 56th.. it will fit the bill, great service, excellent food and very good prices considering it's NYC..actually a few dishes were less than they would be here locally where we live..

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Celeste

Ninth Avenue in the West 40's and 50's is a great place for very good, reasonably priced food in NYC. You can just walk along there and pick a place and chances are it'll be very good.

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:54 AM
al

Yes, Ralphs is very good. A little further down on the same side of the street, b/w 52 & 53 is Westside Cottage, good to excellent Chinese and a staple of my diet for the last 15 years, and across the street from Westside is El Azteca for good (by NY standards) Mexican. In the same area there's also a small Afghan Kebab restaurant (I think b/w 50 & 51) and other various and sundry ethnic restaurants. New restaurants are springing up weekly on 9th Avenue, so take a stroll -- you never know what you may find.

There's also the East Village. St. Marks Place, 2nd Avenue below 14th Street, Avenues A, B and 1st Avenue.

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:57 AM
lisa

There is a good inexpensive little French place called La Bonne Soupe. I think it's on west 55th St. Fixed price menu of salad, soup, wine, & dessert for $13, or a more substantial fixed price meal for $20. Also good fondue. The french onion soup is fab. So is the chocolate mousse.

Jan 18th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Frank

Lani: Try Cabana Carioca, on West 45th Street between 6th and 7th Avenue. Good Brazilian food at very reasonable prices. The weekday lunch buffet is a particularly good deal.

Pesce & Pasta is a small chain of Italian restaurants that has pretty good food at very reasonable prices. They have branches on the upper east and west sides, downtown and in midtown at 1st Avenue and 59th Street.

La Caridad serves excellant Cuban food at dirt cheap prices on Broadway and 78th Street.

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:24 AM
me

There are ton's of those kond of restaurants int he east village, basically anything east of 2nd avenue between houston and 14th sts. Just walk around the area, you'll find many small, ethnic, low-priced restaurants with good food. Little India is on 6th st between 1st and 2nd area if you want indian food. the rest of the east village has just about a everything else. Take a subway (R,N,Q train from times sq) to 14th st - union sq. and walk from there. It's a quick ride from midtown and a great area to explore. much less touristy than times sq. The area also has many little interesting stores. In the theater district there are some good places 9th avenue and west that are reasonable, and the Brazilian restaurants in the theater district (one mentioned by frank) are also very good and inexpensive.

Jan 18th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Luv2Eat

Try the 3rd Ave Diner on 3rd near 24th - it's a local classic

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Elizabeth

(I think most of these are in Zagat's if you want more opinions)(but they aren't in midtown so may not suit you):

VESELKA 2nd Ave at 9th St (E. Village): Ukrainian-owned large informal 24 hour restaurant, wonderful home-made stick-to-your-ribs food. The dinner specials tend to be gone by ten pm. Great for any meal. I think they have beer & wine.

FOCACCERIA : Homey Italian. First Avenue btw 7th & 8th (E. Village). Open for lunch and dinner, closes by 10 at the latest. Cheap & very basic, beloved by neighborhood. They have wine.

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Judy

Don't limit yourself to just midtown or the seaport - there's so much more in between with bus and subway services at all hours (less frequent the later it gets).

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us

You can't get any cheaper than Chinatown! Many orders are less than $5.00 and it'll fill you up nicely! Be aware, some places actually charge higher prices for non-locals. I will suggest the better spots (IMHO): The bakeries (Maria's, Manna House) serve the best iced and hot coffees. Try the iced tea with milk! Noodletown, although lacking in service, has great food, great prices, open late and charges the same for all. For lunch, I would strongly suggest South Wind on Division Street. They're one of a handful of places that's still alive and kicking for more than 30 years.

Cozies (Cozy's?) on Broadway - by Astor Place in the village. You can't get any more hole in the wallish than this. But their burgers are deeelish especially after a night of clubbing.

Although I love Korean Food, the prices are steep for most spots.

Katz's Deli, also on the lower east side serves the best, freshest & tastiest pastrami on rye and they also open late.

Good luck & have a great time!

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Elizabeth

More from me

WONG KEE 113 Mott at Hester (Chinatown)

go before about 4 pm, and ask for the "over rice menu" (say it exactly that way). It=Chinese lunch menu, dishes served over rice. Many dishes about $3. High Zagat rating for food.

Jan 18th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Merilee

I second La Caridad on Broadway...it's Chinese-Latin and the portions are huge and prices are low...very good food...I recommend the ropa vieja with arroz amarillo, maduros, habichuelas rojo followed by flan and cafe con leche...sliders has good burgers and pommes frites has great fries.

Jan 18th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Elizabeth

I also second La Caridad, it is a favorite of mine.

My own menu favorite: picadillo with yellow rice and black beans, and a side order of fried sweet bananas, and liberal use of the Louisiana hot sauce on the table.

And I will try your ropa vieja next time.

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Steve

I know what you mean, I love those types of places. If you happen to venture into Soho, my particular favorite is Miladys (pronouced My Ladies). I think they've been around since the 1920's. It's like a British pub, with Soutwestern-American food and New York spunk (the waitresses and bartenders are great to chat with!)

The food is great, the waitresses usually play some cool music, and if you like beer, I swear the drafts are PERFECT! There's a pool table in the back.

It's on Prince and Thompson.

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Larry

Lived in NYC and have 3 places I would recommend.
1) Pepe Rosso's (just south houston-aorund sullivan - little italian with 3 tables, lunch only for around $6)
2) Arturos (on houston around sullivan-best pizza in NYC which is saying alot, its warm and cozy with a piano player usually)
3) Corner Bistro (burgers and beer in the village)

Jan 18th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Burger Queen

CORNER BISTRO.

Jan 18th, 2002, 12:57 PM
June

Pongsri Thai on 48th and 8th ave. EXCELLENT fresh thai food. My husband have been to 19 different thai places in NY and Pongsri is the best and reasonable too!

Jan 18th, 2002, 01:23 PM
lani

wow! thanks for all the replies! i've written down all the suggestions (thx for directions!) and if we find ourselves in the area DH doesn't have to worry about if we're going to feel ill after a meal that i've dragged him to (unlike some places we've been . i don't read zagat's much because i didn't agree with their ratings in my hometown so i figured asking some locals would be best.

was a little worried about subways at night since last time i was there (10 yrs ago) had a panhandler on every ride we took, and some were really telling people off! still, worth it to try out a few more places and get around more, i suppose.

chinese-latin? that sounds interesting...

much mahalo to everyone for your advice!

Jan 18th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Elizagain

I remember those panhandlers. They are 99% gone (and were 200% present in the bad old days). Subway at night is okay in my opinion, especially if you are with someone else. (Train itself never a problem, but it's nicer not to be alone walking thru stations later on.)

And--don't forget the buses, they are so nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO